-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Silenced: Flight 800 and the subversion of justice, part 2

Zap. Salingerized.

As O'Meara's audiotape revealed, however, it was the mocking and evasive
Goelz who raised the issue of a missile, not O'Meara. Wrote Insight editor
Paul Roderiquez, "In my experience as a veteran newsman, journalists would
never roll over and allow government bureaucrats to use them to slime their
colleagues. Yet that precisely is what recently happened."

Goelz, by the way, had honed his transportation skills lobbying for riverboat
gambling interests on the Missouri. In 1992, he moved on to Tennessee where
he worked as a paid staffer for the Clinton-Gore get-out-the-vote effort. By
1997, he was the top administrator for the world's most sophisticated
accident investigation agency. Only in Clinton's America.

Much more chilling is the case of Jim and Liz Sanders. Aware of the
dissatisfaction within the TWA community, reporter Jim Sanders sought out a
few good sources at the investigation hangar on Long Island. Liz introduced
Jim to Terrel Stacey, a TWA manager and 747 pilot.

Stacey was identified to Sanders as "a straight arrow, go-by-the-rules kind
of guy," the least likely potential source. But given the consequences for
being wrong, that's exactly the kind of person Sanders hoped to find.

"What he told me over those first hours," relates Sanders, "was one thing –
'I know there's a cover-up in progress.'"

Soon after their meeting, Terrel Stacey began to feed Sanders a series of
documents related to the debris field – that is, what falls off a plane and
in what order. Sanders, a retired accident investigator for a California
police department, analyzed the sequence of events and saw what appeared to
be a path of destruction sweeping right across the plane.

When Sanders showed Stacey the path, Stacey for the first time connected that
destruction to a reddish residue trail across those very rows, 17-19.
According to Stacey, the FBI had taken samples of the residue months before
but had refused to share the analysis with the other investigators, including
Stacey, TWA's number two man on site.

Stacey knew the plane well. He had flown it from Paris to New York just the
day before the crash. Without prompting, he volunteered to take the next step
– secure some residue for testing. When he found he couldn't scrape the
residue off, Stacey removed two pinches of foam rubber out of a universe of
thousands and sent them to Sanders that night by FedEx.

Sanders had one sample tested in a California lab. He sent the second piece
of foam rubber to a producer at CBS News' 60 Minutes program for safekeeping
as prearranged. The elements identified by the lab proved to be consistent
with residue from a solid fuel missile or warhead explosion. On March 10,
1997, the Riverside Press-Enterprise in California ran a front-page story on
Sanders' research that was quickly picked up by other papers across America.

This was no longer a polite debate about theories. If Sanders' results were
right, then someone in the FBI had not merely made a mistake, he had
committed a crime. Sanders waited anxiously for an alternative explanation
from the feds. He knew they would have to provide one.

He didn't have to wait long. The day after the article appeared, March 11,
Dr. Bernard Loeb of the NTSB told a House Aviation Subcommittee, "One thing I
can say categorically is that there is no such thing as a red residue trail
in that airplane."

On March 7, however, the FBI's Jim Kallstrom had told The Riverside
Press-Enterprise, "There is a red residue trail. It has nothing to do with a
missile. I'm not going to get into it."

Who was lying about the residue trail, Kallstrom or Loeb? Again, it all
depends on what the meaning of "is" is. Between March 7, when the FBI learned
that a sample of the residue was out of its control, and March 11, when Loeb
testified, it seems likely that the relevant seatbacks had been ripped out of
the reconstructed airplane, never again to be seen. Technically, they may
have both been telling the truth.

As to the cause of the fuss, the missile residue, well it was really just
glue – or so said the NTSB. In truth, the glue hypothesis was pure damage
control. The media, as had become all too typical, never bothered to ask for
proof. They should have. The fabric sample that senior NTSB scientist Dr.
Merritt Birky sent to NASA for testing could have come from anywhere.

Said Birky in a tape-recorded conversation, "So, in trying to prove we have
the same samples as Sanders, I'm not sure it gets us very far. Supposing
Sanders' comes out differently?"

The samples did come out differently. Charlie Basset of NASA confirmed as
much. He signed a notarized statement saying the sample he tested had nothing
to do with the Sanders residue. It is not hard to tell the difference. The
Sanders' samples are erratically streaked in a dark orange. The NTSB sample
shows an almost perfectly applied layering of reddish pink that Bassett
identified as red dye. On screen, the contrast is glaring.

In December of 1998, in the course of discovery for his criminal trial (for
conspiracy), Sanders was able to photograph the given seat, 19-2. He found no
other trace of red around the square that had been removed for testing. In
fact, he later detected through photo analysis that the entire seatback had
been replaced, a rare re-upholstering job on a downed airplane.

As to Sanders' second sample, the one that could have easily revealed the
chicanery afoot, CBS handed the fabric over to the FBI without protest and
refused to renew the contract of the Emmy award-winning producer who received
it. So much for an honest test. So much for a free press. With the media in
check, the conspirators could proceed with a brazenness that stuns even the
cynic.

After the residue story first broke, and with Jim in seclusion writing his
book while he still had the chance, the FBI leaned on Liz Sanders to reveal
Jim's source.

"I was not about to give up a fellow employee and a friend," says Liz. "So we
thought it would be in everyone's best interest if I disappeared for a
while."

Despite Liz's sacrifice – she would spend 8 months in an Oregon trailer park
and lose her job at TWA – the FBI found its way to Stacey, came down on him
hard, arrested both Liz and Jim for conspiracy, and seized Sanders' computer
without a warrant.

"The day I was arrested was surreal," says Liz. "It was something I would
never thought could happen to an innocent normal person in the United
States."

Adds Jim Sanders, "The FBI handcuffed Liz with her hands behind her back and
dragged her through throngs of reporters. Never once did any reporter think
of writing a story in defense of a wife of a journalist. That was a low
moment."

Liz's crime? She introduced Jim to Stacey. She and Jim were tried together as
thieves in a conspiracy to steal government property, a law written to ward
off scavengers. The federal jury was not allowed to know that Sanders was a
reporter, let alone that he was pursuing evidence of a cover-up by the same
government agencies prosecuting him and his wife. The jury convicted them
both.

Before sentencing, the NTSB's Jim Hall sent a letter to the judge. He wrote:

" … this is not a so-called victimless crime … These defendants have
traumatized the families with the release of misinformation, the only
plausible cause of which is commercial gain."

Left unsaid was that this avowed champion of the free press had a vested
interest in sending Sanders to prison and shutting his investigation down.
The judge thought better of it and put both Jim and Liz on probation.

Lying eyes

Despite all the incentives not to, the eyewitnesses continued to plead their
case. To make its "no physical evidence" mantra stick, the administration
somehow had to shut them up.

Enter the CIA. For reasons unclear, the FBI contracted with the CIA to
analyze the witness testimony. During a November, 1997, press conference, the
FBI shared the CIA's analysis with a national television audience. In the
course of a showy 15-minute video, much of it animated, the CIA argued that
when the nose of the plane broke off – due of course to a spontaneous
explosion in the center wing tank – the plane pitched up and climbed like a
rocket for more than 3,000 feet to 17,000 feet in altitude. This climb, not a
missile, is what the 736 official eyewitnesses must have seen.

This explanation stunned the aviation world. Says Ray Lahr, a retired United
pilot and a veteran ALPA crash investigator, "All the pilots that I've spoken
to think it's ridiculous." Lahr argues that when the nose left the aircraft,
the center of gravity moved aft, "like putting two people on one side of
teeter totter." He adds, "The plane would not have any opportunity to climb."

Cmdr. Donaldson, the head of the Associated Retired Aviation Professionals,
reached similar conclusions. A 25-year Navy carrier pilot with 89 combat
missions in Vietnam and a dozen aviation accident investigations under his
belt, Donaldson is not one to be taken lightly. He has dedicated the last
five years of his life to this investigation.

"Once it goes beyond about 20 degrees nose up," says Donaldson of the plane,
"it can't fly anymore because these wings are no longer into the wind. They
can't produce lift."

Dr. Tom Stalcup, a physicist and chair of FIRO, the Flight 800 Investigative
Research Organization, argues the law of the conservation of energy. "The
radar data shows that the plane didn't slow down. If it didn't slow down, it
didn't climb – if it didn't climb, the witnesses didn't see the plane climb,
they saw something else."

What the witnesses did see was perhaps best captured by Air National Guard
helicopter pilot, Major Fritz Meyer, a man with 30 years of experience as a
search and rescue pilot and the first to arrive at the scene of the crash:

When that airplane blew up, it immediately began falling. It came right out
of the sky. From the first moment it was going down. It never climbed. The
thought that this aircraft could climb was laughable.

In fact, not one of the official 736 witnesses reported seeing a crippled
plane ascend like a rocket or ascend at all. Nor does any physical evidence
support this theory. As to the manufacturers of the 747, consider their muted
response to the CIA animation:

Boeing was not involved in the production of the video shown today, nor have
we had the opportunity to obtain a copy or fully understand the data used to
create it … The video's explanation of the eyewitness observations can be
best assessed by the eyewitnesses themselves.

Almost to a person, those witnesses dismissed the CIA animation. Says Meyer,
"It was totally ludicrous." Adds Paul Angelides, "That bore no resemblance
whatsoever to what I saw." And Mike Wire, "When I saw the scenario I thought
it was strange because it was nothing like what I observed."

False witness

Mike Wire's denial is the most troubling. In a stunning bit of chutzpah, the
CIA recreated the missile-like ascent of Flight 800 and its subsequent fall
from exactly the same perspective Wire had on Beach Lane Bridge in
Westhampton. Wire was the CIA's poster boy. But at the time, he didn't know
it.

Mike Wire was originally interviewed by the FBI's Philadelphia office, and
his testimony is among the most detailed of all the witnesses. Said the CIA
of Wire, "In his original description, he thought he had seen a firework and
that perhaps that firework had originated on the beach behind the house."

But if Wire had seen something come up from behind the house, what he saw
could not have been Flight 800 – this, the CIA itself acknowledged in an
85-page transcript. According to the CIA, the plane began its rocket-like
ascent 20 degrees above the horizon. As the story goes, the CIA then called
the FBI and asked that Wire be interviewed once more. This time, Mike Wire
now admitted to the FBI that, yes, he had first seen the streak when it was
20 degrees in the sky.

Several problems here – disturbing ones. In its hearings the NTSB made the
point repeatedly that first impressions are usually the most reliable. So why

Much more disturbing: The FBI did not re-interview Wire as claimed. Never.
Wire's wife did take one call from an alleged FBI agent, but when Wire called
the number back, he got a New York publishing house and presumed the call a
fraud. Even if the FBI had called back, Wire would not have changed his
testimony. He has not changed it to this day. What is more, a boater just a
few hundred yards away saw the same streak rise off the horizon and traces it
exactly to the spot where Wire does.

Facts did not deter the CIA. "FBI investigators determined precisely where
the eyewitness was standing," said the CIA video, this despite the fact that
the FBI had met with Wire in person only once, and that in Philadelphia.

Said Jim Kallstrom, explaining why he called off the criminal investigation
in November of 1997, "In fact, we ran out of things to do." If Kallstrom were
really looking for meaningful activity, he might at least have sent an agent
to talk to Wire.

"The white light the eyewitness saw was very likely the aircraft very briefly
ascending and arching over after it exploded rather than a missile attacking
the aircraft," continued the CIA narrative solemnly. The animation itself not
only eliminates the streak's rise off the horizon, but it moves the explosion
dramatically to the west of where Wire clearly remembers it taking place, the
better to transform Wire's ascending missile into a noseless plane.

At this juncture, one question nags the observer. Why choose Wire's testimony
to alter? Best guess: the CIA reasoned that an unassuming union millwright
from Philadelphia would have much less access to the media than an affluent
vacationer on the Long Island coast. In this sense, the CIA would have been
right (their craft, after all, is deception). Wire did not become aware of
his role in this recreation until March of 2000.

Still, the CIA underestimated Wire. An Army vet, with service in Korea, Wire
has refused to roll over. With his wife's encouragement, and with no
reimbursement, he made the four-hour drive from Philadelphia so that we could
interview him on Beach Lane Bridge and position him exactly where he was on
that fateful night. Neither the FBI not the CIA asked him to do that. No one
in the CIA ever talked to Mike Wire. In fact, the CIA talked to no
eyewitness. The agency reached its startling conclusion after reviewing only
about 12 percent of the FBI's summaries, many of these hasty and slapdash in
the first place.

Situation comedy

"It is difficult to put into words the enormity (sic) of this investigation."
Jim Hall, December 8, 1997 NTSB hearings.

Producing a video gives one a perspective that writing a book does not. It
forces the producer to watch the people whose story he is telling over and
over again. One gets to know them like family.

In fact, before I agreed to this project, I spent three days with the Sanders
in their Florida exile (they apparently are the two felons in that state who
did not vote), watching hours of video and looking for holes in their
argument. What I saw only strengthened their case.

Among the more revealing of the footage I watched is the final NTSB hearing
on Flight 800, August 23, 2000. To read about Jim Hall is one thing. To see
him in action is another. Imagine Floyd the Barber from Andy's Mayberry now
as chairman of the NTSB: Kindly, bumbling, full of empty bromides – in so far
over his head one cringes on his behalf.

Now picture Howard Sprague, Mayberry's officious, self-deluding town clerk.
Imagine him a little more unctuous and a little less charming, and you have
the hearing's best supporting actor, Dr. David Mayer, head of the NTSB's
Orwellian-titled "Human Performance Division." At the 2000 hearings, the job
of discrediting witnesses fell to Dr. Mayer.

"As you well know," Mayer piously informed the NTSB Board, "the work of the
committee is under the party process. If we would interview witnesses, we
would form a group and the group would interview the witnesses."

Please note the words "if" and "would" and the following clarification by
Mayer's boss, Dr. Bernard Loeb.

"In this particular case, some of these witnesses we did not get to because
the FBI initially interviewed them. That is a slight difference."

"Some of the witnesses"? Despite the clear directive of Title 49 that the
NTSB be the "priority" agency on the crash scene, the NTSB did not interview
a single one of the more than 700 civilian witnesses. Its staff talked to
only a handful of military people and, then, not until 1997. As Jim Hall
acknowledged more than once, "I would like to emphasize normal procedures
were not followed."

For the record, not a single eyewitness was allowed to testify at any NTSB
hearing. In 1997, the FBI prevented the NTSB from introducing any witness
testimony or talk of explosive residue lest, mirabile dictu, the FBI one day
decide to reopen the criminal investigation it had just closed. The FBI also
cancelled the screening of the CIA animation.

Wrote Kallstrom to Hall, "Until the NTSB has definitively determined an
accidental cause for the crash, I believe it is prudent to withhold from
public disclosure or discussion the identities of witnesses and the raw
investigative details of the criminal investigation."

By 2000, witnesses would have only caused problems for the NTSB whose
mechanical thesis was now drafted in blood.

The NTSB did not, however, shut out all alternative theories. At the 1997
hearing, a witness was allowed to speak to the possibility of a meteor
strike. Said Hall, congratulating himself on his open-mindedness, "The
meteorite. We got a lot of correspondence on meteor strikes."

At the 2000 hearing the NTSB did, at least, consider the witness notes
gathered by the FBI, including that from one witness chilling enough to
impress even Dr. Mayer. "Witness 649 described events that certainly do sound
like a missile attacking the airplane," Mayer admitted.

So specific and powerful is 649's drawing, in fact, that when we animated it
for the video, it made my editor and myself shudder in terror for the poor
souls on board.

Still, Dr. Mayer dismissed 649's testimony, and he did so for one reason
only: as Mayer described it, everything 649 saw occurred "between these two
flagpoles." Mayer then used an illustration to show where those flagpoles
were located and vectored 649's line of sight from between those flagpoles
out to sea. "So, again," said Mayer, "it doesn't appear that this witness was
looking in the right location to see where Flight 800 would have been when it
would have been struck by a hypothetical missile."

One more problem. In none of the FBI notes does witness 649 ever mention a
flagpole, let alone two flagpoles. With good reason. There weren't any at his
location in Westhampton. This is all easily verifiable, but the major media
had long since ceased to care.

Late in the investigation, the NTSB staged a missile test. "We did not do
this to prove whether or not it was a missile strike," said Mayer, "We have
known for a long time it wasn't." How the NTSB could have hoped for an
unbiased result given its predisposition beggars the imagination, especially
since it tested just one class of missile out of many.

For all that, Witness 649, like many others, described – even drew – a
virtually identical pattern to the one the test witnesses reported. According
to his witness documents, 649 saw an object like "a firework," ascend "fairly
quick," then "slow" and "wiggle" then "speed up" and get "lost." Then he saw
a second object that "glimmered" in the sky, higher than the first, then a
red dot move up to that object, then a puff of smoke, then another puff, then
a "firebox."

Mike Wire's description is virtually identical to 649's – as are many others.
In video editing, when we superimposed the smoke trail of the missile test on
Wire's gestures or on 649's drawing, it left us speechless. Curiously, too,
the CIA animation acknowledged Wire's description of a tell-tale wiggle but
quietly attributed that to an airplane in crippled flight.

At this juncture, the NTSB hearing – as it often does – gets bizarre and
Clintonian. No one likes to lie, not even David Mayer. So he fudges. In a
"hypothetical missile attack," Mayer testifies, a witness would first have
seen one streak of light, the hypothetical missile. Then he would have seen a
second streak of light, the "airplane in crippled flight."

"What horrible luck!" I say to Creech in a darkly humorous moment. "First the
nose falls off the plane spontaneously, without any hint of an explosion, and
then it gets hit with a missile." No other reading of Mayer's testimony makes
sense.

"We could not find anyone describing this scenario," says Mayer
semi-honestly, "one that began with two sequential streaks of light and
concluded with a fireball." Of course, no one saw that scenario. It is
preposterous. Nor can Mayer's double talk be written off to nervousness or
confusion. It was all scripted and rehearsed.

Other witness drawings might have proved even more awkward to explain away
than 649's. But fortunately for the NTSB, at least 30 of the drawings have
turned up missing.

According to an NTSB exhibit, however, 96 witnesses did report seeing the
streak come off the horizon. Still, this did not deter the agency from
creating its own animation, one that also showed a noseless plane ascending
from a starting point 20 degrees above the horizon.

"We studied all the witness reports," said Mayer fatuously. "They are
consistent with crippled flight, not a missile."

Cmdr. Donaldson strenuously disagrees. His disgust for the NTSB theory of
breakup is palpable.

"They got smart when the CIA got laughed out of town by aviators," he scoffs.
"The NTSB figured they'd get away with half of it. So they said it climbed
1,700 feet. It didn't."

To sell the NTSB theory, Mayer had to discredit all the witness testimony and
each of the key witnesses one by one, Mike Wire included. As he did in the
case of 649, Mayer unveiled a stunning series of rationalizations, one more
contrived than the next.

In the case of consulting engineer, Paul Angelides, Mayer claims that in his
July 21, 1996, interview with the FBI, Angelides mentions seeing only "a red
flare descending." Adds Mayer, "He makes no mention of other details."

This is nonsense. Angelides – whom we interviewed at length – gave the FBI a
detailed, point-by-point sketch of what he saw from the deck of his beach
house, and this included an object streaking out to sea, a second streak
rising off the horizon, a ship, as well as the climactic fireball.

This charade climaxed with his discussion of the "fifth witness," Major Fritz
Meyer. Through an elaborate series of charts, Mayer made a specious, almost
comical, case that, given the time it took the National Guard helicopter to
reach the crash site – it arrived, in fact, when bodies were still falling
from above – Major Meyer "saw a fireball, not a missile."