-Caveat Lector-

NEW JERSEY'S WAR
ON GUN OWNERS
ISN'T THIS HOW IT STARTED IN GERMANY?
By: Evan F. Nappen, Esq.

Gun owners who suffer under the Florio/Gormley supported "Assault
Firearm" ban are now being kicked out of their homes and businesses
under the newest Gormley sponsored law. This law is entitled the "Drug
Offender Restraining Order Act of 1999," (DOROA) and can be found at
N.J.S. 2C:35-5.7. Aggressive implementation of  this law has now begun.
All a law abiding gun owner needs to do is be charged with possession
of a so-called "Assault Firearm" and the gun law victim is automatically
kicked out of his/her residence and/or business by way of a restraining
order which lasts for a minimum of 2 years. It does not matter one bit
that drugs were not involved. The municipal court judges have been
instructed to routinely issue these DOROAS.

These restraining orders are issued ex parte (without any input by the
defendant or his attorney).

After the issuance of a DOROA which normally accompanies the
criminal complaint, there is no hearing scheduled on the DOROA. As
passed, the law is void of any due process for the defendant. Just last
week, I had one of these DOROAS come up in Monmouth County. My
client was charged with possession of "Assault Firearm's" which are not
"Assault Firearms" (Mini-14 and Ruger 10/22). I immediately went back
to the municipal court judge who issued the DOROA to try to persuade
the judge to vacate the order. There is a section in the law that claims
that the DOROA should not be issued to remove a person from their
residence unless the judge is clearly convinced that there is a need to
bar the defendant in order to protect the public safety. The municipal
court judge informed me that although he issued the DOROA and was
sympathetic to my client's predicament, he no longer retained the
jurisdiction to make any modifications to it. This is in spite of the fact
that he was the court of origin for the DOROA. The judge of the
municipal court claimed that as soon as he signed the DOROA kicking
the defendant out of his home, he no longer retains jurisdiction and that
the Superior Court now has jurisdiction.

Since there is no procedure in the DOROA law for challenging this
restraining order or even affording the victim of the DOROA a hearing,
my client was presented with a situation in which he had no opportunity
to be heard on challenging the restraining order's issuance. I therefore
created and filed emergency papers with the Superior Court to try to get
my client back in his home. Fortunately, the Monmouth County
Superior Court and the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office took the
appropriate action, which was initiated by my creative filings The
Monmouth County Superior Court vacated and dissolved the restraining
order. By the time this had been accomplished, the law-abiding gun
owner had been barred from his home for one week under the threat of
jail.

My client resided with his wife in a home on 20 acres of property. On a
simple charge of possession of a so- called ""Assault Firearm"" in
which the defendant holds a valid New Jersey Firearms Identification
Card and poses a threat to no one, my client suffered this injustice
which could have lasted for years. None of these facts were presented
to nor considered by the judge of the municipal court who issued the
initial DOROA.

This is a serious situation for law-abiding New Jersey gun owners. False
charges for possession of an "Assault Firearm" frequently occur in New
Jersey. I have personally handled many cases falsely charging "Assault
Firearm" violations.

These cases include the new Marlin Model 60's (which hold less than
15 rounds), Colt Match Target rifles and their clones, SKS's with a fixed
magazines, 1927 Thomp- son/Auto Ordinance .45's, M1 Garand Rifles,
MAK-90's, Marlin Camp Carbine's, Remington 7600's, Russian
Dragunov's, and Springfield M1A's without a bayonet lug, just to name
some of the common false charges made against law-abiding New
Jersey gun owners.

In the name of "the war on drugs," be prepared to be kicked out of your
home with no due process thanks to Florio, Gormley, and Whitman .
For more information about New Jersey Gun Law, see Evan F. Nappen
and purchase and read Nappen II: New Jersey Gun, Knife & Weapon
Law. Mr. Evan F. Nappen, Esq., may be contacted at 732-389-8888

Evan F. Nappen  writes for Pipe Bomb News, a weekly journal of
political news and commentary.
He can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Published in the July 26, 2001 issue of  Ether Zone.
Copyright © 2001 Ether Zone (http://www.etherzone.com).
Reposting permitted with this message intact.

--

Best Wishes

Not everyone with a gun is a bad guy. Not everyone without one is a
good guy. A bad guy without a gun can still do a hell of a lot of
damage. A good guy without a gun can't always stop it from happening.
- Arthur C. Clarke & Michael Kube-McDowell in The Trigger, 1999, p. 441
(paperback edition)