http://www.davidicke.com/icke/index1c.html

Intifada/Israeli Siege

Subj: [AL-AWDA] Testimony
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am a Jewish woman with family who lived in Haifa for 10 generations. I just
returned from living in Ramallah, the West Bank, Occupied Palestine, for
eight months. I went to work as a volunteer at a nonprofit, not knowing that
the second Intifada would break out soon after I arrived. But once there, I
became a witness of the life of the Palestinian people during the Intifada,
and joined other people who were international observers from Non
Governmental Organizations (NGOs), and together we witnessed the daily
realities of Palestinian life and how they were misrepresented in the
American and Israeli media. In the nonviolent demonstrations which I
witnessed, such as those in which Palestinians dismantled with their bare
hands the roadblocks that prevent thousands of people from accessing
vocation, trade, basic services and even emergency medical treatment, I
cannot tell you how many people I saw shot, wounded, and killed. I lost count.

After the first murder I witnessed of the man standing in front of me, I grew
numb. Then it was just a stream of bodies, the guy with his head blown off,
the little boys so small you don't even need a stretcher for them, and old
women, carried off into ambulances which every single time were shot at by
the Israelis directly on the driver's side of the windshield. Ambulances
turned back at checkpoints.

Throughout this Intifada/Israeli Siege, what I witnessed was an
overwhelmingly nonviolent struggle within Palestinian civil society for
justice. Every one of the endless demonstrations I attended began as marches
with signs, banners and chants. The Israelis shot first every single time
before any rocks were thrown. Rocks, thrown at armored jeeps' seldom hit
fenders, stones that are a symbolic way of saying, "We will resist our
oppression, even if you have a tank and I have a rock." In fact, the Israeli
soldiers even shot at some of the demonstrations when people were doing
nothing more than singing "we shall overcome" and no stones were thrown even
after the Israeli soldiers began and continued to shoot.

Every night I went to sleep to the sound of shells falling on the nearby
school for blind children. I walked to do my shopping past 10-year-old boys
with patches over their eyes. How come all of them in the eye? Accident? The
death toll for the Israelis is about 100, the death toll for the Palestinians
about 600. Numbers cannot reflect the losses. The Palestinians also have
about 20,000 wounded civilians, some in critical condition and many
permanently disabled, while hospitals are being attacked and medical clinics
destroyed. I had to walk through streets of crippled people, through the
human traffic of funerals, which become demonstrations, which become more
funerals, just to get a can of soda.

And that's just Area A.

Area A is like a vacation. Don't know what that is? Learn your ABCs. I'll be
happy to help you. Then maybe we can have a conversation. In Areas B and C,
where the majority of people live in villages completely surrounded by
clusters of Israeli settlements such as Ariel, which even within Barak's
generous offer were set to remain permanently, in order to maintain permanent
military bases, life is much worse. The children cannot breathe. The tear gas
day and night being thrown at their windows has damaged their respiratory
systems, maybe irrevocably at this point. I have even tried to scream at the
soldiers pleading, "the children are being taken to the hospital." But then
they shot at me so I ran back inside the house I was visiting. Night and day
there are settlers attacking, backed by soldiers, shooting into the villages
and screaming "Death to the Arabs," burning down property, even marching into
schools in broad daylight and shooting the kids. The soldiers shot my friend
in the middle of

the day while he was standing outside his house bringing the kids inside as
the troops stomped through the village. They threw a stun grenade into his
brother's face and then pointed an M-16 at his head and threatened to shoot
anyone who would try to bring my friend to an emergency medical vehicle. It
took 30 minutes before he was permitted to be taken to a hospital. Now he is
paralyzed.

This is only a partial list of what I have witnessed in the past eight
months. I saw it myself, and I have no motivation to exaggerate. I don't hate
Israelis (my own family) or Jews (my own people). But I saw all this, and I
know that many people simply deny it, won't believe it, and have been given
no information in the media which would make what I actually saw seem
comprehensible to them. What is happening is called ethnic cleansing? The
death toll in baseball terms may be 100 to 600, but this isn't baseball. The
figures do not describe the conditions of life the Palestinians are living
under, which is a fabric torn from the seams of hell that you cannot imagine
without knowing it firsthand. One side goes out dancing in nightclubs when it
gets dark (a nightclub right next to the Russian compound where Palestinian
detainees are being interrogated and tortured while listening to people
laughing and drinking and dancing). The other side sits in fear inside their
homes or is under forced curfew. I have lived on both sides and I am not sure
the realities are in the same universe.

This is an army, one of the most powerful in the world against a civilian
population. This Israeli army has an intact infrastructure and state and a
government capable to give orders to kill, or not to kill. The Palestinians
do not have an intact infrastructure, state or government capable of telling
anyone anything in particular; I will let you in on a little secret. Not even
Chairman Arafat can stop suicide bombers. Only justice can.

People who have come to understand that violence is the only language the
Israelis reward are killing the Israelis. Thus far they are absolutely
correct. Prime Minister Ariel Sharon called the ceasefire after the suicide
bomber at the mall. The Israelis are rewarding violence. Otherwise, why do
they renew negotiations only after their own death toll is on the rise and
why do they shoot nonviolent protesters? Violence should not be rewarded. But
unfortunately it is, and it will be that way indefinitely until the
international community takes a stand and insists upon international
protection for the Palestinian people. Then, with the protection of the
innocent, with freedom of expression, with the complete and total withdrawal
from the Occupied Territories, can a discussion toward justice, toward what
justice even means, begin.

I will let you in on another secret: the Occupation is violence. There can be
no negotiations under violence. I hope that those who become defensive of
Israel and upset can take a deep breath and consider, have they ever visited
or lived in the West Bank or Gaza? My journey to the truth was very painful.
But my people have no right to kill the Palestinians, steal their land,
destroy their communities and culture and leave them refugees from their
homeland. My people have no right to disregard international law and UN
resolutions. I think that my people can find more creative and ultimately
sustainable ways to survive than by becoming murderers and war criminals or
by choosing to be those who defend or support them.

Mona E
Email address & source on file