-Caveat Lector-

Helping the Rich steal from the till while there's still something in it.
WHO is the money being borrowed from? Who profits from the interest?
----- What a country! ----------------------------------------------Nurev

                  RANGEL REACTS TO TREASURY DEPARTMENT
                  ANNOUNCEMENT THAT IT WILL HAVE TO BORROW
                  MONEY TO PAY FOR "REFUND" CHECKS

 WASHINGTON - 07.30.01 | Noting the Treasury Department's
 announcement today that it will need to borrow a net $51 billion in this fiscal
 quarter in part to pay for "tax rebates" included in the recently enacted tax
bill,
 Rep. Charles B. Rangel (D-NY) warned today that the bill poses short and long
 term threats to reserves committed to providing promised Medicare benefits.

 "The government is bleeding red ink again. Thanks to the fiscal discipline of
 the Clinton Administration, we had thought that the era of big deficits was
over.
 Well, thanks to the gimmicks the Republicans played in the big tax bill,
deficits
 are already back. It will be difficult for Democrats to resist saying 'I told
you so',"
 said Rep. Rangel.

 In April, the Treasury Department had said it expected to pay down about $57
 billion in debt held by the public in the July-September quarter, according to
 published news reports. However, the large tax cut pushed through by President
 Bush included shifts in corporate tax-due dates and $38 billion in "refund
 checks" that Republicans added to the tax bill in the last days before passage
 make the larger bill seem more palatable to a skeptical public.

 "The whole Republican rationale for passing such a big tax cut is that we
 needed to send the surpluses back to the people. How ironic is it that we are
now
 borrowing from the people in order to pay them their checks?" said Rep. Rangel.
 "Unfortunately, this is just the beginning. The Republicans are already writing
 confidential memos that acknowledge that the economic slowdown, Republican
 budget plans, and the Bush tax cut will force a raid of the Medicare and Social
 Security surpluses."

 Rep. Rangel was referring to a memo obtained by the BNA news organization
 and reported on in July 27th's Daily Report for Executives. According to that
 report, the internal Republican memo said: "We are possibly already into [the]
 Medicare [Part A] trust fund this year and every year through FY05" ... "We
also
 are very close to touching the Social Security surplus in FY03."

  According to published reports, corporate tax revenues received by the
 Treasury have fallen behind those from last year. Rep. Rangel pointed out that
 whatever errors there are in short-term projections are likely to extend into
later
 years.

 "This information already calls into question the rosy economic forecasts
 which President Bush used to justify a bloated and back-loaded tax bill. If we
can
 not even pay for the first year of the bill without endangering the Medicare
trust
 fund, we'll be in big trouble when the revenue losses increase dramatically in
 future years."