-Caveat Lector-

August 18, 2001

Yale and the Price of Slavery
By HENRY WIENCEK

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.--In 1852 a wealthy Mississippi cotton planter, Robert
Hairston, suddenly fell ill. With death overtaking him, he frantically
dictated a will in which he revealed that he had a child, his only one, a
5-year-old girl who was a slave. With his last breath he commanded his
family to have the girl set free and bequeathed to her his entire estate
land, cash and slaves worth over $1 million.

Hairston's white relatives, all quite wealthy, could not bear to see that
much money pass to a black. They decided to make her disappear and divided
up her property among themselves. To cover their tracks, they called the
father a lunatic and stuck to that story for generations. They told a judge
the girl was dead and sent her off to a distant plantation. One hundred and
sixty years later, while researching a book, I discovered through court
records and oral history in the area what had really happened.

This tale of theft on a massive scale has a deeper significance; it reveals
some of the psyche of the masters. The white family could never claim they
did not know what they were doing, that through some defect in their
perception they did not comprehend that this slave was a human being. She
was one of them. She probably looked like them. But cash trumped blood.

I was reminded of that story this week when three researchers released a
report on Yale University's deep entanglement in slavery. In response to
the report, John H. McWhorter, a linguist at the University of California
at Berkeley, defended Yale's reputation, saying, "Slavery when those people
lived was largely an unquestioned part of existence. It's downright
inappropriate to render a moral judgment . . . based on moral standards
which didn't exist at that time." Yale's administration, in a defensive
feint, noted in responding to the report's publication that "few, if any,
institutions or individuals from the period before Emancipation remained
untainted by slavery."

This is the "presentism" defense, which can be useful for almost any era
and almost any misdeed. But it is most commonly deployed when the morality
of slavery comes up: We must forgive them because they did not know what
they were doing.

Presentism is very often advanced in defense of America's founders. It is
comforting to think that their generation, so distant in time from us,
lived in a condition of moral ignorance, and thus innocence, regarding
slavery. But that is not the case. Even Thomas Jefferson, some of whose
statements exhibit an almost demented racism, could see clearly that
slavery utterly compromised the nation: "I tremble for my country when I
reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever," Jefferson
wrote. "The Almighty has no attribute which can take side with us."

George Washington was an enthusiastic slaveholder in his early decades,
buying slaves to build himself a plantation empire; but by the end of his
life he found slavery repugnant. In his will Washington freed his slaves
and specified that the children be educated, believing that with education
and training the freed children of slaves could take a more fruitful and
productive place in Virginia society. If we accept the statement that "it's
downright inappropriate to render a moral judgment" on slavery, we are more
willing to accept slavery than George Washington was.

If the founders had such misgivings over slavery, how is it that they
allowed slavery to continue? The answer is not that they didn't know any
better, but that they kept slavery so the Southern states would join the
union. It was a transaction, a deal, just like the deal that put the
national capital on the Potomac in exchange for the federal assumption of
states' debts  and not unlike the deal the Hairstons made in causing their
kin to disappear. With their eyes open, the founders traded away the rights
of African-Americans, many of whom had fought bravely in the Revolution, so
that the national enterprise could go forward.

This country was founded upon a bargain for which we continue to pay the
price. We compound the mistake by draping a veil of innocence over the
transaction. The true beneficiary of the presentism defense is not the past
but the present  it guards and preserves our fervent wish to have sprung
from innocent origins.

Henry Wiencek, Yale 1974, won the National Book Critics' Circle Award for
"The Hairstons: An American Family in Black and White." He is writing a
book about George Washington and slavery.

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company