-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Washington Acts to Head Off Financial Downturn
 Bipartisan proposals are an attempt to keep consumers spending, with the aim
of staving off a recession.

By PETER G. GOSSELIN and WARREN VIETH, Times Staff Writers

WASHINGTON -- As Wall Street held its breath over today's resumption of stock
trading, Washington signaled Sunday that it will pull out all the economic
stops to keep the country from being shoved into recession by last week's
terrorist attacks.

In an unusual joint appearance, House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) and
Minority Leader Richard A. Gephardt (D-Mo.) told "Fox News Sunday" they are
assembling bipartisan proposals designed to revive growth, which was flagging
even before Tuesday's suicide airliner attacks and now threatens to drop
sharply.

Among the proposals are new spending programs and tax cuts that might drive
the government back into deficits, but also could help keep consumers buying
and the economy percolating.

"We're talking about things now that we're going to have to do to sustain our
markets, to make sure there's confidence, both consumer confidence and
confidence in our market system," said Hastert.

Leaders acknowledged Sunday that the economic fallout from the attacks is
proving even more complex than initially anticipated. Vice President Dick
Cheney said that administration officials are scrambling to help the airline
industry, which has been financially battered by the shutdown of air traffic
in the wake of the attacks and a sharp contraction of ridership.

Independent analysts said a bailout in the form of direct aid, low-interest
loans and government assumption of some industry expenses may be in the
offing.

"We're very interested in finding ways to make certain . . . there's no sort
of permanent damage to our civil aviation capacity," Cheney told NBC's "Meet
the Press."

In a remark that captured policymakers' peculiar bind--trying to revive
economic ebullience even as they say they are preparing for military
action--Cheney called on Americans to do their patriotic duty by continuing
to shop.

"I would hope the American people would, in effect, stick their thumbs in the
eye of the terrorists and say that they've got great confidence in the
country, great confidence in our economy, and not let what's happened here in
any way throw off their normal level of economic activity," he said.

The vice president's comment reflects growing worry among economists that the
attacks and their somber aftermath will convince consumers, who were already
slowing their purchases, to pull back sharply in a move that could drive the
country into a substantial downturn.

A recent University of Michigan survey found consumer confidence, which
influences how much people buy, slipping to an 8˝-year low in early September
even before the assaults. However, a new Los Angeles Times poll conducted in
the wake of the attacks found Americans still strikingly upbeat.

Asked about the overall state of the economy, fully 71% of 1,561 respondents
said they thought it is doing "very" or "fairly well." Asked about their own
plans for the upcoming holiday season, 59% said they would spend the same on
presents for families and friends as last year, while 26% said they would
spend less. Finally, asked what the effects on the economy would be of the
global stock declines that followed the attacks, fully 73% said they would be
only a "temporary setback."

Global economic policymakers are ready to act swiftly to ensure that the
attacks' effects on financial markets are only temporary. Policymakers with
the Federal Reserve, the Bank of England, the European Central Bank and
others are prepared to cut interest rates and intervene to defend the dollar
if the U.S. stock market has trouble reopening this morning after a nearly
unprecedented four-day shutdown.

Some analysts predict that major U.S. stock indexes will plunge as much as
10%, citing similar drops of foreign indexes that have continued to trade in
the wake of the attacks. However, others said that the market could remain
stable, or even rise, if investors decide to buy in a show of patriotism or
to ride out the uncertainty.

"There have been just too many changes in the economic calculation: Airlines
are on the edge of bankruptcy. Additional security costs and time costs are
going to reduce productivity in the near term. There is no way I can imagine
the profit potential of U.S. corporations is anywhere but down from where it
was a week ago," said Brian S. Wesbury, chief economist with Griffin, Kubik,
Stephens & Thompson in Chicago.

"I just can't imagine us seeing a long-term rally. If we do have some kind of
patriotic rally, it's not going to last long," Wesbury said.

"A lot will ride on what happens" today, added Chris Varvares, an economist
with Macroeconomic Advisors Inc. in St Louis. "If we get a patriotic rally, I
think that will be a shot in the arm to consumer confidence," he said.

Once the nation gets over the hump of reopening its markets, analysts say the
big question will be whether the economy can dodge recession.

A growing number of forecasters has concluded that the economy was already
contracting before the attacks, and is likely to shrink even further now. The
issue could be decided in part Friday when the government revises its growth
estimate for the April-through-June quarter, the latest period for which
numbers are available. Many expect the already minuscule 0.2% growth rate for
the quarter to be cut to zero or lower.

Until now the burden of trying to keep the economy afloat has fallen almost
entirely on the Fed, which has slashed interest rates dramatically since the
start of the year in an effort to revive growth by lowering borrowing costs.

But an unexpected side effect of the terrorist attacks may be to bring the
White House, Congress and Washington's tax-and-spending powers into the fray.

"We're in a new world, and we have to think anew; we have to open our minds
to new ideas and try to find the right answers," Gephardt, the House
Democratic leader, told Fox News.

Central to the new thinking of both political parties is a willingness to
consider deficit spending, even if that means breaking into the until-now,
sacrosanct surplus for Social Security.

Cheney said past promises to keep Social Security surpluses in a fictional
"lock box" are now moot, noting that President Bush has said he was prepared
to spend those funds in the event of war or recession.

Right now, he said, the country faces the prospect of both.

"We clearly have a war against terrorism," Cheney said on NBC's "Meet the
Press." And if the economy contracts for two consecutive quarters, which now
appears possible, "that would qualify as a recession," he added.

The vice president said he considered the lock-box debate "a little bit
fallacious," because the government is obligated to pay future Social
Security benefits no matter how today's surplus is used.

"We've never defaulted on a debt since Alexander Hamilton was the Treasury
secretary, so that's never really been an issue," he said.