-Caveat Lector-

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [southnews] US stands by to steal Pakistan's nukes
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:41:09 -0600 (CST)
From: Dave Muller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

----------

U.S. Special Unit 'Stands by to Steal Atomic Warheads'

http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2001/10/29
/war129.xml&sSheet=/news/2001/10/29/ixhome.html

By BEN FENTON

THE TELEGRAPH - London, UK - Monday, 29 October 2001 AN elite
American military unit is preparing for possible incursion into
Pakistan in order to steal its nuclear weapons arsenal, it is
reported today.

The special forces unit is training with Israel's most trusted
anti-terrorist unit, and would be called into action in the event
that Gen. Pervaiz Musharraf lost power in Pakistan, the New Yorker
magazine said.

The CIA believes that Pakistani army officers sympathetic to the
Taliban could pose a threat to Gen. Musharraf, and that some of
the country's estimated 24 nuclear warheads could be stolen by
renegades within Pakistan's intelligence service, the ISI.

Seymour Hersch, a journalist whose reporting on the post-September
11 crisis has been broadly accurate so far, said that members of
Israel's Unit 262, or Sayeret Matkal, came to America soon after
the attacks and have been training with Pentagon special forces.

Mr. Hersch quoted a "senior military officer" as confirming that
intense planning was going on for the "exfiltration" - theft - of
warheads. But there are doubts about whether the CIA - or any other
intelligence agency - knows the exact location of Pakistan's
warheads, which were first tested, to the surprise of American
intelligence agencies, in [May] 1998.

The fear that Gen. Musharraf could lose control of the country and
some or all of the warheads is based on the close links between
the ISI and the Taliban. Last week, the Pakistani President dismissed
such concerns.

"We have an excellent command-and-control system which we have
evolved, and there is no question of their falling into the hands
of any fundamentalists," Gen. Musharraf said. Pakistan is thought
to have a number of intermediate-range missiles to carry its warheads
as well as using F-16 fighter-bombers.

There are a number of possible targets for the use of these weapons
by renegades sympathetic to the Islamic extremists in Afghanistan.
These include India, itself a nuclear power, or the four American
aircraft carriers and British vessels currently cruising off
Pakistan's coastline as bases for air and commando attacks on the
Taliban and al-Qaeda.

----------

US mulls neutralising Pak nuclear facilities

The Times of India 27 October 2001

WASHINGTON: President George W Bush is consulting senior leaders
on plans to neutralise Pakistan's nuclear capabilities if the Pervez
Musharraf regime collapses, a senior US lawmaker has indicated.

Joe Biden, chairman of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations
Committee, strongly hinted this at a meeting of the Council on
Foreign Relations in New York.

Biden was asked about an article in The New York Times on the need
to render Pakistani nuclear weapons ineffective if the Musharraf
regime falls. The Democrat senator replied: "Those discussions are
underway with the Democratic and Republican members of Congress
and the president on setting those priorities."

There have been strong protests from fundamentalist groups in
Pakistan against Musharraf's decision to back the US war against
Afghanistan. This has given rise to questions about a threat to
the military regime and the possibility of Pakistan's nuclear
facilities falling into the hands of religious groups.

Biden said: "The question is, the president (Bush) has an internal
dilemma he has to overcome first. He (Bush) is focusing on first
things first, but then he has to deal with ...and I'm going to get
in trouble for saying this... but he has to deal with what has not
gone away. There is, for lack of a better phrase, still a
Rumsfeld-Powell split on how they look at the world, and how they
look at these very issues that you've stated here."

Biden indicated a split between Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld
and Secretary of State Colin Powell with the suggestion that
Rumsfeld, a known hawk, supported such a plan in Pakistan while
Powell opposed it.

Biden, who said he had been in close consultations with Bush, also
set out his views on US relations with India and Pakistan. "I think
there has to be a clear understanding, both in Delhi and Islamabad,
that we are interested, we are looking and we are watching. Secondly,
I think a message should be delivered very strongly to the Indians
- do not attempt to take advantage of the circumstances at this
moment, it's against your interests across the board."

But finally, he said, "we have to make clear to the Pakistanis
that, notwithstanding the fact we need you very much right now,
you are in a position where if you are going to continue to foment
the terror that does exist in Kashmir, then you are operating
against your own near-term interests, because that very viper can
turn on you."

Pakistan on Friday dismissed as absurd British media reports that
Osama bin Laden had obtained nuclear material from Islamabad. The
Times newspaper and Channel Four television quoted Western intelligence
sources as saying the Saudi-born dissident had obtained the material
illegally from Pakistan, a nuclear capable country. A Pakistani
foreign ministry spokesman said on Friday that the allegation was
absurd.

"Our nuclear materials are in very safe hands, these are absurd
allegations," spokesman Riaz Mohammad Khan said. The Times and
Channel Four said that bin Laden and his al Qaeda network of Islamic
extremists, which operates out of neighbouring Afghanistan, did
not have the technology to make a nuclear bomb.

Kashmir will become central to resolving tensions between India
and Pakistan, he said. "The truth of the matter is, the whole world
is looking at their problem now in Kashmir, not just us, the
spotlight is on and the consequences for how they will be treated
relative to all other nations in the world is very much up in the
air right now, and they should be made constantly aware of how
tenuous the circumstance is for both of them. In this case,
particularly India, in my view, particularly India."

Replying to a question on relations with India after the US had
been seen to be moving close to the country before September 11,
Biden said: "I think that was then, and it's almost still that way
now. And let me explain what I mean by that. "I may be mistaken,
and I may be a bit cynical, but I think the initial `tilt' toward
India was related to Beijing more than it was to Pakistan or anything
else. And I think that the relationship with Beijing was going
south very rapidly."

Biden said "there is a desire in the administration to actually,
genuinely (have) better relations with India. I think it is an
absolute essential element of American foreign policy that that be
done. And part of that is simply engaging ... engaging them and
treating them like what they are. They will not (in) too long be
the largest, most populous nation in the world. They are a democracy,
as flawed as you may think it is. They are someone with whom we
should and must have a much, much, much better relationship and
understanding."

The whole world has changed for India in recent years, Biden said.

"It has changed not only when the wall came down, and when their
protector evaporated, it changed now as the relationship with China
begins to mature, and they're going to have some great difficulty
internally figuring out how to deal with that.

"But we should be engaged at the highest level on a daily basis,
literally with India. So I don't think the administration is
jettisoning India, but I think they're beginning to look at India
in a different way, not as cynically as just a card to have been
played against Beijing."

( IANS )

[EMAIL PROTECTED]