-Caveat Lector-

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/paul6.html

> However,
>   if we get to the point of returning to the draft, I have
>   a proposal. Every news commentator, every Hollywood
>   star, every newspaper editorialist, and every Member of
>   Congress under the age of 65 who has never served in the
>   military and who demands that the draft be reinstated,
>   should be drafted first – the 18-year olds last. Since
>   the Pentagon says they don't need draftees, these new
>   recruits can be the first to march to the orders of the
>   general in charge of homeland security. For those less
>   robust individuals, they can do the hospital and cooking
>   chores for the rest of the newly formed domestic army.
>   After all, someone middle aged owes a lot more to his
>   country than an 18-year old.

dd
 Keep
  Your Eye on the Target
by
  Congressman Ron Paul, MD
We
  have been told on numerous occasions to expect a long and
protracted
  war. This is not necessary if one can identify the target – the
enemy – and then stay focused on that target. It's impossible
  to keep one's eye on a target and hit it if one does not precisely
understand it and identify it. In pursuing any military undertaking,
  it's the responsibility of Congress to know exactly why it
appropriates
  the funding. Today, unlike any time in our history, the enemy and
  its location remain vague and pervasive. In the undeclared wars
  of Vietnam and Korea, the enemy was known and clearly defined, even
though our policies were confused and contradictory. Today our
policies
  relating to the growth of terrorism are also confused and
contradictory;
  however, the precise enemy and its location are not known by
anyone.
  Until the enemy is defined and understood, it cannot be accurately
  targeted or vanquished.
The
  terrorist enemy is no more an entity than the "mob" or
  some international criminal gang. It certainly is not a country,
  nor is it the Afghan people. The Taliban is obviously a strong
sympathizer
  with bin Laden and his henchmen, but how much more so than the
government of Saudi Arabia or even Pakistan? Probably not much.
Ulterior
  motives have always played a part in the foreign policy of almost
  every nation throughout history. Economic gain and geographic
expansion,
  or even just the desires for more political power, too often drive
  the militarism of all nations. Unfortunately, in recent years, we
have not been exempt. If expansionism, economic interests, desire
  for hegemony, and influential allies affect our policies and they,
  in turn, incite mob attacks against us, they obviously cannot be
  ignored. The target will be illusive and ever enlarging, rather
  than vanquished.
We
  do know a lot about the terrorists who spilled the blood of nearly
4,000 innocent civilians. There were 19 of them, 15 from Saudi
Arabia, and they have paid a high price. They're all dead. So those
most responsible for the attack have been permanently taken care of.
  If one encounters a single suicide bomber who takes his own life
  along with others without the help of anyone else, no further
punishment
  is possible. The only question that can be raised under that
circumstance is why did it happen and how can we change the
conditions that drove an individual to perform such a heinous act.
The
  terrorist attacks on New York and Washington are not quite so
simple,
  but they are similar. These attacks required funding, planning and
  inspiration from others. But the total number of people directly
involved had to be relatively small in order to have kept the plans
thoroughly concealed. Twenty accomplices, or even a hundred could
have done it. But there's no way thousands of people knew and
participated
  in the planning and carrying out of this attack. Moral support
expressed
  by those who find our policies offensive is a different matter and
  difficult to discover. Those who enjoyed seeing the U.S. hit are
  too numerous to count and impossible to identify. To target and
  wage war against all of them is like declaring war against an idea
or sin.
The
  predominant nationality of the terrorists was Saudi Arabian. Yet
for political and economic reasons, even with the lack of cooperation
from the Saudi government, we have ignored that country in placing
blame. The Afghan people did nothing to deserve another war. The
Taliban, of course, is closely tied to bin Laden and al-Qaeda, but
  so are the Pakistanis and the Saudis. Even the United States was
  a supporter of the Taliban's rise to power, and as recently as
August
  of 2001, we talked oil pipeline politics with them.
The
  recent French publication of bin Laden, The Forbidden Truth
revealed
  our most recent effort to secure control over Caspian Sea oil in
  collaboration with the Taliban. According to the two authors, the
economic conditions demanded by the U.S. were turned down and led to
U.S. military threats against the Taliban.
It
  has been known for years that Unocal, a U.S. company, has been
anxious
  to build a pipeline through northern Afghanistan, but it has not
been possible due to the weak Afghan central government. We should
not be surprised now that many contend that the plan for the UN
  to "nation build" in Afghanistan is a logical and important
  consequence of this desire. The crisis has merely given those
interested
  in this project an excuse to replace the government of Afghanistan.

  Since we don't even know if bin Laden is in Afghanistan, and since
  other countries are equally supportive of him, our concentration
  on this Taliban "target" remains suspect by many.
Former
  FBI Deputy Director John O'Neill resigned in July over duplicitous
  dealings with the Taliban and our oil interests. O'Neill then took
  a job as head of the World Trade Center security and ironically was
killed in the 9-11 attack. The charges made by these authors
  in their recent publication deserve close scrutiny and
congressional oversight investigation – and not just for the
historical record.
  understand world sentiment on this subject, one might note a
comment
  in The Hindu, India's national newspaper – not necessarily
  to agree with the paper's sentiment, but to help us better
understand
  what is being thought about us around the world in contrast to the
  spin put on the war by our five major TV news networks.
This
  quote comes from an article written by Sitaram Yechury on October
  13, 2001:
The world
    today is being asked to side with the U.S. in a fight against
    global terrorism. This is only a cover. The world is being asked
    today, in reality, to side with the U.S. as it seeks to
strengthen
    its economic hegemony. This is neither acceptable nor will it
    be allowed. We must forge together to state that we are neither
    with the terrorists nor with the United States.
The
  need to define our target is ever so necessary if we're going to
avoid letting this war get out of control.
It's
  important to note that in the same article, the author quoted
Michael Klare, an expert on Caspian Sea oil reserves, from an
interview
  on Radio Free Europe: "We (the U.S.) view oil as a security
  consideration and we have to protect it by any means necessary,
  regardless of other considerations, other values." This, of
  course, was a clearly stated position of our administration in 1990

  as our country was being prepared to fight the Persian Gulf War.
  Saddam Hussein and his weapons of mass destruction only became the
  issue later on.
For
  various reasons, the enemy with whom we're now at war remains vague

  and illusive. Those who commit violent terrorist acts should be
targeted with a rifle or hemlock – not with vague declarations,
  with some claiming we must root out terrorism in as many as 60
countries. If we're not precise in identifying our enemy, it's sure
going to
  be hard to keep our eye on the target. Without this identification,

  the war will spread and be needlessly prolonged.
Why
  is this definition so crucial? Because without it, the special
interests
  and the ill-advised will clamor for all kinds of expansive
militarism.
  Planning to expand and fight a never-ending war in 60 countries
  against worldwide terrorist conflicts with the notion that, at
most,
  only a few hundred ever knew of the plans to attack the World Trade

  Center and the Pentagon. The pervasive and indefinable enemy –
  terrorism – cannot be conquered with weapons and UN nation building
– only a more sensible pro-American foreign policy
  will accomplish this. This must occur if we are to avoid a
cataclysmic expansion of the current hostilities.
It
  was said that our efforts were to be directed toward the terrorists
responsible for the attacks, and overthrowing and instituting new
governments were not to be part of the agenda. Already we have
clearly
  taken our eyes off that target and diverted it toward building a
pro-Western, UN-sanctioned government in Afghanistan. But if bin
Laden can hit us in New York and DC, what should one expect to happen

  once the US/UN establishes a new government in Afghanistan with
  occupying troops. It seems that would be an easy target for the
likes of al Qaeda.
Since
  we don't know in which cave or even in which country bin Laden is
  hiding, we hear the clamor of many for us to overthrow our next
villain – Saddam Hussein – guilty or not. On the short
  list of countries to be attacked are North Korea, Libya, Syria,
  Iran, and the Sudan, just for starters. But this jingoistic talk
  is foolhardy and dangerous. The war against terrorism cannot be
  won in this manner.
The
  drumbeat for attacking Baghdad grows louder every day, with Paul
  Wolfowitz, Bill Kristol, Richard Perle, and Bill Bennett leading
  the charge. In a recent interview, U.S. Deputy Defense Secretary
  Paul Wolfowitz, made it clear: "We are going to continue pursuing
  the entire al Qaeda network which is in 60 countries, not just
Afghanistan." Fortunately, President Bush and Colin Powell so far
have resisted
  the pressure to expand the war into other countries. Let us hope
  and pray that they do not yield to the clamor of the special
interests
  that want us to take on Iraq.
The
  argument that we need to do so because Hussein is producing weapons

  of mass destruction is the reddest of all herrings. I sincerely
doubt that he has developed significant weapons of mass destruction.
However, if that is the argument, we should plan to attack all those
countries that have similar weapons or plans to build them –
  countries like China, North Korea, Israel, Pakistan, and India.
  Iraq has been uncooperative with the UN World Order and remains
  independent of western control of its oil reserves, unlike Saudi
  Arabia and Kuwait. This is why she has been bombed steadily for
  11 years by the U.S. and Britain. My guess is that in the not-too-
distant
  future, so-called proof will be provided that Saddam Hussein was
  somehow partially responsible for the attack in the United States,
  and it will be irresistible then for the U.S. to retaliate against
  him. This will greatly and dangerously expand the war and provoke
  even greater hatred toward the United States, and it's all so
unnecessary.
It's
  just so hard for many Americans to understand how we inadvertently
  provoke the Arab/Muslim people, and I'm not talking about the likes

  of bin Laden and his al Qaeda gang. I'm talking about the
Arab/Muslim
  masses.
In
  1996, after five years of sanctions against Iraq and persistent
bombings, CBS reporter Lesley Stahl asked our Ambassador to the
United Nations, Madeline Albright, a simple question: "We have
  heard that a half million children have died (as a consequence of
  our policy against Iraq). Is the price worth it?" Albright's
  response was "We think the price is worth it." Although
  this interview won an Emmy award, it was rarely shown in the U.S.
  but widely circulated in the Middle East. Some still wonder why
  America is despised in this region of the world!
Former
  President George W. Bush has been criticized for not marching on
  to Baghdad at the end of the Persian Gulf War. He gave then, and
stands by his explanation today, a superb answer of why it was ill-
advised
  to attempt to remove Saddam Hussein from power – there were
  strategic and tactical, as well as humanitarian, arguments against
it. But the important and clinching argument against annihilating
Baghdad was political. The coalition, in no uncertain terms, let
  it be known they wanted no part of it. Besides, the UN only
authorized
  the removal of Saddam Hussein from Kuwait. The UN has never
sanctioned
  the continued U.S. and British bombing of Iraq – a source of
  much hatred directed toward the United States.
But
  placing of U.S. troops on what is seen as Muslim holy land in Saudi
Arabia seems to have done exactly what the former President was
trying to avoid – the breakup of the coalition. The coalition
  has hung together by a thread, but internal dissention among the
  secular and religious Arab/Muslim nations within individual
countries
  has intensified. Even today, the current crisis threatens the
overthrow
  of every puppet pro-western Arab leader from Egypt to Saudi Arabia
  and Kuwait.
Many
  of the same advisors from the first Bush presidency are now urging
  the current President to finish off Hussein. However, every reason
  given 11 years ago for not leveling Baghdad still holds true today
  – if not more so.
It
  has been argued that we needed to maintain a presence in Saudi
Arabia
  after the Persian Gulf War to protect the Saudi government from
  Iraqi attack. Others argued that it was only a cynical excuse to
justify keeping troops to protect what our officials declared were
  "our" oil supplies. Some have even suggested that our
  expanded presence in Saudi Arabia was prompted by a need to keep
  King Fahd in power and to thwart any effort by Saudi
fundamentalists
  to overthrow his regime.
Expanding
  the war by taking on Iraq at this time may well please some allies,

  but it will lead to unbelievable chaos in the region and throughout
the world. It will incite even more anti-American sentiment and
  expose us to even greater dangers. It could prove to be an
unmitigated disaster. Iran and Russia will not be pleased with this
move.
It
  is not our job to remove Saddam Hussein – that is the job of
  the Iraqi people. It is not our job to remove the Taliban –
  that is the business of the Afghan people. It is not our job to
  insist that the next government in Afghanistan include women, no
  matter how good an idea it is. If this really is an issue, why
don't
  we insist that our friends in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait do the same
  thing, as well as impose our will on them? Talk about hypocrisy!
  The mere thought that we fight wars for affirmative action in a
  country 6,000 miles from home, with no cultural similarities,
should
  insult us all. Of course it does distract us from the issue of an
  oil pipeline through northern Afghanistan. We need to keep our eye
  on the target and not be so easily distracted.
Assume
  for a minute that bin Laden is not in Afghanistan. Would any of
  our military efforts in that region be justified? Since none of
  it would be related to American security, it would be difficult
  to justify.
Assume
  for a minute that bin Laden is as ill as I believe he is with
serious
  renal disease, would he not do everything conceivable for his cause

  by provoking us into expanding the war and alienating as many
Muslims
  as possible?
Remember,
  to bin Laden, martyrdom is a noble calling, and he just may be more

  powerful in death than he is in life. An American invasion of Iraq
  would please bin Laden, because it would rally his troops against
any moderate Arab leader who appears to be supporting the United
States. It would prove his point that America is up to no good,
  that oil and Arab infidels are the source of all the Muslims'
problems.
We
  have recently been reminded of Admiral Yamamoto's quote after the
  bombing of Pearl Harbor in expressing his fear that the event
"Awakened
  a sleeping giant." Most everyone agrees with the prophetic wisdom
of that comment. But I question the accuracy of drawing an analogy
between the Pearl Harbor event and the World Trade Center attack. We
are hardly the same nation we were in 1941. Today, we're anything but
a sleeping giant. There's no contest for our status
  as the world's only economic, political and military super power.
  A "sleeping giant" would not have troops in 141 countries
  throughout the world and be engaged in every conceivable conflict
  with 250,000 troops stationed abroad.
The
  fear I have is that our policies, along with those of Britain, the
  UN, and NATO since World War II, inspired and have now awakened
  a long-forgotten sleeping giant – Islamic fundamentalism.
Let's
  hope for all our sakes that Iraq is not made the target in this
complex war.
The
  President, in the 2000 presidential campaign, argued against nation
building, and he was right to do so. He also said, "If we're
  an arrogant nation, they'll resent us." He wisely argued for
  humility and a policy that promotes peace. Attacking Baghdad or
  declaring war against Saddam Hussein, or even continuing the
illegal
  bombing of Iraq, is hardly a policy of humility designed to promote

  peace.
As
  we continue our bombing of Afghanistan, plans are made to install
  a new government sympathetic to the West and under UN control. The
persuasive argument as always is money. We were able to gain
Pakistan's
  support, although it continually wavers, in this manner.
Appropriations
  are already being prepared in the Congress to rebuild all that we
  destroy in Afghanistan, and then some – even before the bombing
  has stopped.
Rumsfeld's
  plan, as reported in Turkey's Hurriyet newspaper, lays out the plan

  for the next Iraqi government. Turkey's support is crucial, so the
  plan is to give Turkey oil from the northern Iraq Karkuk field.
  The United States has also promised a pipeline running from Iraq
  through Turkey. How can the Turks resist such a generous offer?
  Since we subsidize Turkey and they bomb the Kurds, while we punish
  the Iraqis for the same, this plan to divvy up wealth in the land
  of the Kurds is hardly a surprise.
It
  seems that Washington never learns. Our foolish foreign
interventions
  continually get us into more trouble than we have bargained for
  – and the spending is endless. I am not optimistic that this
Congress will anytime soon come to its senses. I am afraid that
  we will never treat the taxpayers with respect. National bankruptcy

  is a more likely scenario than Congress adopting a frugal and wise
  spending policy.
We
  must make every effort to precisely define our target in this war
and keep our eye on it.
It
  is safe to assume that the number of people directly involved in
  the 9-11 attacks is closer to several hundred than the millions
  we are now talking about targeting with our planned shotgun
approach
  to terrorism.
One
  commentator pointed out that when the mafia commits violence, no
  one suggests we bomb Sicily. Today it seems we are, in a symbolic
way, not only bombing "Sicily," but are thinking about
  bombing "Athens" (Iraq).
If
  a corrupt city or state government does business with a drug cartel
or organized crime and violence results, we don't bomb city hall
  or the state capital – we limit the targets to those directly
  guilty and punish them. Could we not learn a lesson from these
examples?
It
  is difficult for everyone to put the 9-11 attacks in a proper
perspective,
  because any attempt to do so is construed as diminishing the utter
  horror of the events of that day. We must remember, though, that
  the 3,900 deaths incurred in the World Trade Center attacks are
just slightly more than the deaths that occur on our nation's
highways each month. Could it be that the sense of personal
vulnerability
  we survivors feel motivates us in meting out justice, rather than
  the concern for the victims of the attacks? Otherwise, the numbers
  don't add up to the proper response. If we lose sight of the target

  and unwisely broaden the war, the tragedy of 9-11 may pale in the
  death and destruction that could lie ahead.
As
  members of Congress, we have a profound responsibility to mete out
  justice, provide security for our nation, and protect the liberties

  of all the people, without senselessly expanding the war at the
  urging of narrow political and economic special interests. The
price
  is too high, and the danger too great. We must not lose our focus
  on the real target and inadvertently create new enemies for
ourselves.
We
  have not done any better keeping our eye on the terrorist target
  on the home front than we have overseas. Not only has Congress come
up short in picking the right target, it has directed all its
energies
  in the wrong direction. The target of our efforts has sadly been
  the liberties all Americans enjoy. With all the new power we have
  given to the administration, none has truly improved the chances
  of catching the terrorists who were responsible for the 9-11
attacks.
  All Americans will soon feel the consequences of this new
legislation.
Just
  as the crisis provided an opportunity for some to promote a special-
interest
  agenda in our foreign policy efforts, many have seen the crisis
  as a chance to achieve changes in our domestic laws, changes which,

  up until now, were seen as dangerous and unfair to American
citizens.
Granting
  bailouts is not new for Congress, but current conditions have
prompted
  many takers to line up for handouts. There has always been a large
  constituency for expanding federal power for whatever reason, and
  these groups have been energized. The military-industrial complex
is out in full force and is optimistic. Union power is pleased with
  recent events and has not missed the opportunity to increase
membership rolls. Federal policing powers, already in a bull market,
received
  a super shot in the arm. The IRS, which detests financial privacy,
  gloats, while all the big spenders in Washington applaud the tools
  made available to crack down on tax dodgers. The drug warriors and
anti-gun zealots love the new powers that now can be used to watch
the every move of our citizens. "Extremists" who talk
  of the Constitution, promote right-to-life, form citizen militias,
  or participate in non-mainstream religious practices now can be
  monitored much more effectively by those who find their views
offensive.
  Laws recently passed by the Congress apply to all Americans –
  not just terrorists. But we should remember that if the terrorists
  are known and identified, existing laws would have been quite
adequate
  to deal with them.
Even
  before the passage of the recent draconian legislation, hundreds
had already been arrested under suspicion, and millions of dollars
  of al Qaeda funds had been frozen. None of these new laws will deal

  with uncooperative foreign entities like the Saudi government,
which
  chose not to relinquish evidence pertaining to exactly who financed

  the terrorists' operations. Unfortunately, the laws will affect
  all innocent Americans, yet will do nothing to thwart terrorism.
The
  laws recently passed in Congress in response to the terrorist
attacks
  can be compared to the effort by anti-gun fanatics, who jump at
  every chance to undermine the Second Amendment. When crimes are
  committed with the use of guns, it's argued that we must remove
guns from society, or at least register them and make it difficult
  to buy them. The counter argument made by Second Amendment
supporters correctly explains that this would only undermine the
freedom of law-abiding citizens and do nothing to keep guns out of
the hands
  of criminals or to reduce crime.
Now
  we hear a similar argument that a certain amount of privacy and
personal liberty of law-abiding citizens must be sacrificed in order
  to root out possible terrorists. This will result only in liberties

  being lost, and will not serve to preempt any terrorist act. The
  criminals, just as they know how to get guns even when they are
  illegal, will still be able to circumvent anti-terrorist laws. To
  believe otherwise is to endorse a Faustian bargain, but that is
  what I believe the Congress has done.
We
  know from the ongoing drug war that federal drug police frequently
  make mistakes, break down the wrong doors and destroy property.
  Abuses of seizure and forfeiture laws are numerous. Yet the new
  laws will encourage even more mistakes by federal law-enforcement
  agencies. It has long been forgotten that law enforcement in the
  United States was supposed to be a state and local government
responsibility,
  not that of the federal government. The federal government's
policing
  powers have just gotten a giant boost in scope and authority
through
  both new legislation and executive orders.
Before
  the 9-11 attack, Attorney General Ashcroft let his position be
known
  regarding privacy and government secrecy. Executive Order 13223
  made it much more difficult for researchers to gain access to
presidential
  documents from previous administrations, now a "need to know"
  has to be demonstrated. This was a direct hit at efforts to demand
  openness in government, even if only for analysis and writing of
  history. Ashcroft's position is that presidential records ought
  to remain secret, even after an administration has left office.
  He argues that government deserves privacy while ignoring the 4th
  Amendment protections of the people's privacy. He argues his case
  by absurdly claiming he must "protect"the privacy of the
  individuals who might be involved – a non-problem that could
  easily be resolved without closing public records to the public.
It
  is estimated that approximately 1,200 men have been arrested as
  a consequence of 9-11, yet their names and the charges are not
available,
  and according to Ashcroft, will not be made available. Once again,
  he uses the argument that he's protecting the privacy of those
charged.
  Unbelievable! Due process for the detainees has been denied. Secret

  government is winning out over open government. This is the largest

  number of people to be locked up under these conditions since FDR's

  internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II. Information
  regarding these arrests is a must, in a constitutional republic.
  If they're terrorists or accomplices, just let the public know and
  pursue their prosecution. But secret arrests and silence are not
acceptable in a society that professes to be free. Curtailing freedom

  is not the answer to protecting freedom under adverse
circumstances.
The
  administration has severely curtailed briefings regarding the
military
  operation in Afghanistan for congressional leaders, ignoring a long-
time
  tradition in this country. One person or one branch of government
  should never control military operations. Our system of government
  has always required a shared-power arrangement.
The
  Anti-Terrorism Bill did little to restrain the growth of big
government.
  In the name of patriotism, the Congress did some very unpatriotic
  things. Instead of concentrating on the persons or groups that
committed
  the attacks on 9-11, our efforts, unfortunately, have undermined
  the liberties of all Americans.
"Know
  Your Customer" type banking regulations, resisted by most Americans

  for years, have now been put in place in an expanded fashion. Not
  only will the regulations affect banks, thrifts and credit unions,
  but also all businesses will be required to file suspicious
transaction
  reports if cash is used with the total of the transaction reaching
  $10,000. Retail stores will be required to spy on all their
customers
  and send reports to the U.S. government. Financial services
consultants
  are convinced that this new regulation will affect literally
millions
  of law-abiding American citizens. The odds that this additional
paperwork will catch a terrorist are remote. The sad part is that
  the regulations have been sought after by federal law-enforcement
agencies for years. The 9-11 attacks have served as an opportunity
  to get them by the Congress and the American people.
Only
  now are the American people hearing about the onerous portions of
  the anti-terrorism legislation, and they are not pleased.
It's
  easy for elected officials in Washington to tell the American
people that the government will do whatever it takes to defeat
terrorism.
  Such assurances inevitably are followed by proposals either to
restrict
  the constitutional liberties of the American people or to spend
  vast sums of money from the federal treasury. The history of the
  20th Century shows that the Congress violates our Constitution most

  often during times of crisis. Accordingly, most of our worst
unconstitutional agencies and programs began during the two World
Wars and the Depression.
  Ironically, the Constitution itself was conceived in a time of
great
  crisis. The founders intended its provision to place severe
restrictions
  on the federal government, even in times of great distress. America

  must guard against current calls for government to sacrifice the
  Constitution in the name of law enforcement.
The"anti-terrorism"
  legislation recently passed by Congress demonstrates how well-
meaning
  politicians make shortsighted mistakes in a rush to respond to a
  crisis. Most of its provisions were never carefully studied by
Congress,
  nor was sufficient time taken to debate the bill despite its
importance.
  No testimony was heard from privacy experts or from others fields
  outside of law enforcement. Normal congressional committee and
hearing
  processes were suspended. In fact, the final version of the bill
  was not even made available to Members before the vote! The
American
  public should not tolerate these political games, especially when
  our precious freedoms are at stake.
Almost
  all of the new laws focus on American citizens rather than
potential
  foreign terrorists. For example, the definition of "terrorism," for
federal criminal purposes, has been greatly expanded A person could
now be considered a terrorist by belonging to a pro-constitution
group, a citizen militia, or a pro-life organization. Legitimate
  protests against the government could place tens of thousands of
  other Americans under federal surveillance. Similarly, internet
  use can be monitored without a user's knowledge, and internet
providers
  can be forced to hand over user information to law-enforcement
officials without a warrant or subpoena.
The
  bill also greatly expands the use of traditional surveillance
tools, including wiretaps, search warrants, and subpoenas. Probable-
cause standards for these tools are relaxed, or even eliminated in
some circumstances. Warrants become easier to obtain and can be
executed without notification. Wiretaps can be placed without a court
order.
  In fact, the FBI and CIA now can tap phones or computers
nationwide, without demonstrating that a criminal suspect is using a
particular phone or computer.
The
  biggest problem with these new law-enforcement powers is that they
  bear little relationship to fighting terrorism. Surveillance powers
are greatly expanded, while checks and balances on government are
greatly reduced. Most of the provisions have been sought by domestic
law-enforcement agencies for years, not to fight terrorism, but
  rather to increase their police power over the American people.
  There is no evidence that our previously held civil liberties posed

  a barrier to the effective tracking or prosecution of terrorists.
  The federal government has made no showing that it failed to detect

  or prevent the recent terrorist strikes because of the civil
liberties
  that will be compromised by this new legislation.
In
  his speech to the joint session of Congress following the September
11th attacks, President Bush reminded all of us that the United
  States outlasted and defeated Soviet totalitarianism in the last
  century. The numerous internal problems in the former Soviet Union
  – its centralized economic planning and lack of free markets,
  its repression of human liberty and its excessive militarization
  – all led to its inevitable collapse. We must be vigilant to
  resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our
society,
  so that our own government does not become a greater threat to our
  freedoms than any foreign terrorist.
The
  executive order that has gotten the most attention by those who are
concerned that our response to 9-11 is overreaching and dangerous to
our liberties is the one authorizing military justice, in secret.
  Nazi war criminals were tried in public, but plans now are laid
  to carry out the trials and punishment, including possibly the
death
  penalty, outside the eyes and ears of the legislative and judicial
  branches of government and the American public. Since such a
process
  threatens national security and the Constitution, it cannot be used

  as a justification for their protection.
Some
  have claimed this military tribunal has been in the planning stages
for five years. If so, what would have been its justification?
The
  argument that FDR did it and therefore it must be OK is a rather
weak justification. Roosevelt was hardly one that went by the rule
  book – the Constitution. But the situation then was quite different

  from today. There was a declared war by Congress against a precise
enemy, the Germans, who sent eight saboteurs into our country.
Convictions
  were unanimous, not 2/3 of the panel, and appeals were permitted.
  That's not what's being offered today. Furthermore, the previous
  military tribunals expired when the war ended. Since this war will
  go on indefinitely, so too will the courts.
The
  real outrage is that such a usurpation of power can be accomplished

  with the stroke of a pen. It may be that we have come to that stage

  in our history when an executive order is "the law of the land,"
  but it's not "kinda cool," as one member of the previous
administration bragged. It's a process that is unacceptable, even
  in this professed time of crisis.
There
  are well-documented histories of secret military tribunals. Up
until
  now, the United States has consistently condemned them. The fact
  that a two-thirds majority can sentence a person to death in
secrecy
  in the United States is scary. With no appeals available, and no
defense attorneys of choice being permitted, fairness should compel
  us to reject such a system outright.
Those
  who favor these trials claim they are necessary to halt terrorism
in its tracks. We are told that only terrorists will be brought
  before these tribunals. This means that the so-called suspects must

  be tried and convicted before they are assigned to this type of
  "trial" without due process. They will be deemed guilty
  by hearsay, in contrast to the traditional American system of
justice
  where all are innocent until proven guilty. This turns the justice
  system on its head.
One
  cannot be reassured by believing these courts will only apply to
foreigners who are terrorists. Sloppiness in convicting criminals
  is a slippery slope. We should not forget that the Davidians at
  Waco were "convicted" and demonized and slaughtered outside
  our judicial system, and they were, for the most part, American
  citizens. Randy Weaver's family fared no better.
It
  has been said that the best way for us to spread our message of
freedom, justice and prosperity throughout the world is through
example and persuasion, not through force of arms. We have drifted
  a long way from that concept. Military courts will be another bad
example for the world. We were outraged in 1996 when Lori Berenson,
  an American citizen, was tried, convicted, and sentenced to life
  by a Peruvian military court. Instead of setting an example, now
  we are following the lead of a Peruvian dictator.
The
  ongoing debate regarding the use of torture in rounding up the
criminals
  involved in the 9-11 attacks is too casual. This can hardly
represent
  progress in the cause of liberty and justice. Once government
becomes
  more secretive, it is more likely this tool will be abused.
Hopefully
  the Congress will not endorse or turn a blind eye to this barbaric
  proposal. For every proposal made to circumvent the justice system,

  it's intended that we visualize that these infractions of the law
and the Constitution will apply only to terrorists and never involve
innocent U.S. citizens. This is impossible, because someone has
  to determine exactly who to bring before the tribunal, and that
  involves all of us. That is too much arbitrary power for anyone
  to be given in a representative government and is more
characteristic
  of a totalitarian government.
Many
  throughout the world, especially those in Muslim countries, will be
convinced by the secretive process that the real reason for military
courts is that the U.S. lacks sufficient evidence to convict in
  an open court. Should we be fighting so strenuously the war against

  terrorism and carelessly sacrifice our traditions of American
justice?
  If we do, the war will be for naught and we will lose, even if we
  win.
Congress
  has a profound responsibility in all of this and should never
concede
  this power to a President or an Attorney General. Congressional
  oversight powers must be used to their fullest to curtail this
unconstitutional
  assumption of power.
The
  planned use of military personnel to patrol our streets and
airports is another challenge of great importance that should not go
uncontested.
  For years, many in Washington have advocated a national approach
  to all policing activity. This current crisis has given them a
tremendous
  boost. Believe me, this is no panacea and is a dangerous move. The
  Constitution never intended that the federal government assume this

  power. This concept was codified in the Posse Comitatus Act of
1878.
  This act prohibits the military from carrying out law-enforcement
  duties such as searching or arresting people in the United States,
  the argument being that the military is only used for this type
  of purpose in a police state. Interestingly, it was the violation
  of these principles that prompted the Texas Revolution against
Mexico. The military under the Mexican Constitution at that time was
prohibited from enforcing civil laws, and when Santa Anna ignored
this prohibition,
  the revolution broke out. We should not so readily concede the
principle
  that has been fought for on more than one occasion in this country.
The
  threats to liberty seem endless. It seems we have forgotten to
target
  the enemy. Instead we have inadvertently targeted the rights of
American citizens. The crisis has offered a good opportunity for
  those who have argued all along for bigger government.
For
  instance, the military draft is the ultimate insult to those who
  love personal liberty. The Pentagon, even with the ongoing crisis,
  has argued against the reinstatement of the draft. Yet the clamor
  for its reinstatement grows louder daily by those who wanted a
return
  to the draft all along. I see the draft as the ultimate abuse of
  liberty. Morally it cannot be distinguished from slavery. All the
  arguments for drafting 18-year old men and women and sending them
  off to foreign wars are couched in terms of noble service to the
  country and benefits to the draftees. The need-for-discipline
argument
  is the most common reason given, after the call for service in an
  effort to make the world safe for democracy. There can be no worse
  substitute for the lack of parental guidance of teenagers than the
  federal government's domineering control, forcing them to fight
  an enemy they don't even know in a country they can't even
identity.
Now
  it's argued that since the federal government has taken over the
entire job of homeland security, all kinds of jobs can be found
  for the draftees to serve the state, even for those who are
conscientious objectors.
The
  proponents of the draft call it "mandatory service." Slavery,
  too, was mandatory, but few believed it was a service. They claim
  that every 18-year old owes at least two years of his life to his
  country. Let's hope the American people don't fall for this "need
  to serve" argument. The Congress should refuse to even consider
  such a proposal. Better yet, what we need to do is abolish the
Selective Service altogether.
[...]
I'm
  certain that this provision would mute the loud demands for the
return of the military draft.
  see good reason for American citizens to be concerned – not
  only about another terrorist attack, but for their own personal
  freedoms as the Congress deals with the crisis. Personal freedom
  is the element of the human condition that has made America great
  and unique and something we all cherish. Even those who are more
  willing to sacrifice a little freedom for security do it with the
  firm conviction that they are acting in the best interest of
freedom
  and justice. However, good intentions can never suffice for sound
  judgment in the defense of liberty.
  do not challenge the dedication and sincerity of those who disagree
with the freedom philosophy and confidently promote government
solutions
  for all our ills. I am just absolutely convinced that the best
formula
  for giving us peace and preserving the American way of life is
freedom,
  limited government, and minding our own business overseas.
Henry
  Grady Weaver, author of a classic book on freedom, The Mainspring
  of Human Progress, years ago warned us that good intentions in
politics
  are not good enough and actually are dangerous to the cause. Weaver

  stated: "Most
  of the major ills of the world have been  caused by well-meaning
  people who ignored the principle of individual freedom, except as
  applied to themselves, and who were obsessed with fanatical zeal
  to improve the lot of mankind-in-the-mass through some pet formula
of their own. The harm done by ordinary criminals, murderers,
gangsters,
  and thieves is negligible in comparison with the agony inflicted
upon human beings by the professional do-gooders, who attempt to
  set themselves up as gods on earth and who would ruthlessly force
  their views on all others – with the abiding assurance that
  the end justifies the means."
This
  message is one we should all ponder.
December
  3, 2001
Dr.
  Ron Paul is a Republican member of Congress from Texas.
The
  Truth Needs Your Support
Please
  make a donation to help LewRockwell.com tell it,
no matter what nefarious plans Leviathan has. Back
        to LewRockwell.com Home Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe
simply because it has been handed down for many generations. Do not
believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do
not believe in anything simply because it is written in Holy Scriptures. Do not
believe in anything merely on the authority of Teachers, elders or wise men.
Believe only after careful observation and analysis, when you find that it
agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all.
Then accept it and live up to it."
The Buddha on Belief, from the Kalama Sutta
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                     German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway