-Caveat Lector-

"By 1997 Enron had been listed by the New York-based Human Rights Watch
organization as guilty of being 'complicit in human rights violations' in the
state of Maharashtra....

On Friday, the White House defended US encouragement for the Enron project in
India, and vice-president Dick Cheney's support for Enron's attempts to
collect a $64m debt from the country. It insisted that this had nothing to do
with Enron contributions to the Bush campaign."

These may be heavy for survivors of abuse.

Quote from : A Criminologist's Quest for Peace - Hal Pepinsky - Chapter 5
Transcending Literatyranny - "...But what affected me and in turn other
seminar members most profoundly was to begin to meet people who told us about
personal experience with ritual violence.
My first personal introduction was secondhand--by Rick Doninger, who with his
wife Pam had helped a number of children and adults who as children had been
victimized in group rituals, in this case satanic rituals, often in families
of high standing, or in the first instance out of a number of schools.  He
brings some thirty water color, ink and pencil drawings to class, taped to
several large poster boards.  He and Pam, like other seminar guests, had gone
to Huntsville, Alabama, for training in non-leading interviewing techniques
at the National Child Advocacy Center.  Typically, he tells me, the pictures
were drawn while he chatted with children at his kitchen table.  He would
simply invite children to use the materials and draw anything they wanted
about what had happened to them while he talked with them.  He tells me that
it was almost as though the children were doodling as they talked about other
stuff.  Then they described what they had drawn to him.  Copies of the
pictures and summaries of the children's descriptions of them appear in
Carrico et al. (1994: 64-108).  In similarity of detail many corroborate one
another from across the country.  A pair of siblings independently draw
consistent pictures of a ritual, remarkably parallel in detail albeit
different in artistic technique.
I have heard descriptions like Rick and Pam's of what children say, and seen
video excerpts of children describing rituals they had been raped and
tortured in, but my the firsthand experience seminar members and I share is
of adult survivors.  The second semester I taught the seminar Rick brought a
survivor who by first name only was appearing in public for the first time.
Shortly thereafter, Debbie and Mary put me in touch with Jeanette
Westbrook..., a social worker in Louisville, who has visited the seminar
every semester since, and who like Rick also now visits a large class I teach
on "alternative social control systems."  Jeanette had enough police and
legal support that the Kentucky Attorney General charged her father with
raping her several times.  As they sought to have him extradited from his new
home in Ohio, he returned from a trip where he met Eastern European heads of
state and members of parliament on nuclear safety planning, and in his early
sixties died suddenly in bed at home and was buried without an autopsy.
A friend observed awhile back that I so brazenly believe that Jeanette's
memories of ritual violence are true, and representative of widespread
violence including serial murder and cannibalism, because I have met
survivors like Jeanette (many by now) and heard them speak for themselves.
Their voices are just beginning to be aired in media in ways that may become
literature.
http://www.critcrim.org/critpapers/pepinsky-book5.htm

E. Gary Stickel, Ph.D. - Archaeological Investigations of the McMartin
Preschool site, Manhattan Beach, California - Executive Summary ....The
project unearthed not one but two tunnel complexes as well as previously
unrecognized structural features which defied logical explanation. Both
tunnel complexes conformed to locations and functional descriptions
established by children's reports. One had been described as providing
undetected access to an adjacent building on the east. The other provided
outside access under the west wall of the building and contained within it an
enlarged, cavernous artifact corresponding to children's descriptions of a
"secret room"....The McMartin preschool in Manhattan Beach, California was
the first of what has since been described as a national epidemic of
multi-victim, multi-perpetrator accusations of sexual and sadistic abuse
which erupted in the mid 1980's.....The results of the survey by Ground
penetrating Radar proved consistent with discoveries of the subsequent
excavations, all of which confirmed not only the basic descriptions of
children but also specific details of location, interior features and
putative function. http://www.tesserae.org/tess/prose/tunnels2.html More
information on McMartin is available at
http://members.aol.com/smartnews/Sample-Issue-37.htm or SMART Issue #37

Published on Sunday, January 20, 2002 in The Sunday Herald (Scotland)

How Arundhati Roy Took Back the Power in India
She Won the Booker Prize for The God Of Small Things, Then She Helped Author
Enron's Downfall

by James Hamilton

IT was the biggest piece of inward investment India had ever seen, a $2.9
billion bonanza, but for the Texas-based Enron it was also one of the reasons
why the multinational corporation has just become one of the biggest ever
corporate losses in the history of capitalism.....

The story of Enron's involvement in India is one of double-dealing,
corruption, violence and violation of human rights. It began in 1993 when the
company signed a deal to provide much-needed electricity in a state that was
desperate for power to fuel its new high-tech industries and to propel the
country on its new free-market economy.

Even though the World Bank said that the project was too expensive and that
other forms of power would be cheaper, Enron bulldoze d ahead. There were no
competitive tenders, politicians were bought off with bribes estimated to run
to $20 million and local police and thugs were hired to terrorize the
opposition into silence. By 1997 Enron had been listed by the New York-based