-Caveat Lector- "While the White House insists that details of its talks with Enron officials remain secret, a memo outlining those discussions reveals the extent to which the Houston energy giant lobbied to influence government policy."
"In the memo, Kenneth Lay, former chief executive of the now-bankrupt energy giant, urged Cheney to reject price caps on wholesale electricity that Davis and a host of other state officials desperately wanted." "California Gov. Gray Davis is asking federal energy regulators to investigate possible price-fixing by Enron during the state's energy crisis." This may be heavy for survivors of abuse. Scandal Returns to Belgium Village AP 1/30/02 - SAINTE-ODE, Belgium (AP) -- >From homes huddled round the village church, another dark tale of child sex has crept out to shock Belgium. Nineteen people living in and around Sainte-Ode, a remote village of 2,000, go on trial Thursday, accused of having sex with the daughter of a former bar owner starting from when she was 12. Less than six years ago, Belgium was traumatized by the case of Marc Dutroux, accused of raping and killing young girls in a case that made international headlines and held the performance of Belgian police up to ridicule. The shame was compounded by Dutroux's brief 1998 escape from custody, for which he is serving a five-year sentence while awaiting trial. The nation's unease over Dutroux makes the case before the Correctional Tribunal in Neufchateau, 15 miles from Sainte-Ode, all the more disturbing. Experts see familiar pattern in Hub archdiocese scandal - Analysis/by Jules Crittenden and Tom Mashberg 1/30/02 - But even as church leaders like Bernard Cardinal Law were denouncing the fallen priests as aberrations, and promising to review records and track down any similar cases, he and others had been working diligently for years to squelch all public knowledge of the church's shame. Sources now say the Archdiocese of Boston is sitting on records of up to 50 perverted priests, which it has promised to hand over to civil authorities. And in the past few days, one by one, new names of pedophile priests are surfacing from around Massachusetts - priests who say they were promised their secret would be safe with the church. ``What you're seeing in Boston fits a pattern of what we've seen in other places,'' said Tom Fox, publisher of National Catholic Reporter, who has reported on abuse by priests and followed the issue since 1985. ``What's remarkable is the similarity of the pattern. ``There is the cover-up, internal movements of priests, compassion toward priests and little apparent compassion for victims,'' he said. ``This is followed by litigation and a flood of publicity. Then you see forced contrition and a public announcement of new guidelines.'' http://www.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/main01302002.htm Church ID's 40 years of alleged pedophile priests - by Tom Mashberg, Jules Crittenden, Laurel J. Sweet and Robin Washington 1/31/02 - In a stunning move that has elated victims and is likely to burden law enforcement for months to come, the Archdiocese of Boston yesterday gave authorities across eastern Massachusetts the names of dozens of priests dating back 40 years who left the clergy amid allegations of child molestation. http://www2.bostonherald.com/news/local_regional/main01312002.htm Roman Catholic Church pays sexual-abuse victims - 1/31/02 - Dublin — The Roman Catholic Church in Ireland has agreed to a landmark $110-million (U.S) payment to Irish children sexually abused by its clergy over decades. Sex abuse campaigners and opposition lawmakers brand the offer as inadequate. The deal late Wednesday was designed to conclude a 10-year struggle by the church in this predominantly Catholic nation to overcome sex scandals going back to the 1940s. More than 20 priests, brothers and nuns have already been convicted of molesting children, with much of the abuse taking place in state-funded, church-run schools. Http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/RTGAMArticleHTMLTemplate/C/20020131/wchurc h?hub=homeBN&tf=tgam%252Frealtime%252Ffullstory.html&cf=tgam/realtime/config- neutral&vg=BigAdVariableGenerator&slug=wchurch&date=20020131&archive=RTGAM&si te=Front&ad_page_name=breakingnews http://www.sacbee.com/content/politics/story/1556513p-1632845c.html Enron price-fixing probe urged by Gov. Davis Associated Press Published 2:57 p.m. PST Thursday, Jan. 31, 2002 California Gov. Gray Davis is asking federal energy regulators to investigate possible price-fixing by Enron during the state's energy crisis. Davis sent a letter Thursday to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission following the release of a memo from Enron officials to the White House that outlines discussions between company officials and the administration's energy task force headed by Vice President Dick Cheney. In the memo, Kenneth Lay, former chief executive of the now-bankrupt energy giant, urged Cheney to reject price caps on wholesale electricity that Davis and a host of other state officials desperately wanted. Davis has been asking FERC to probe possible price manipulation by power suppliers since August 2000. "If there is any doubt in your mind about whether an investigation is warranted, the latest revelations should answer that question," Davis wrote..... Lay is scheduled to appear before the Senate Commerce Committee on Monday, and Boxer said she will confront him. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., said the memo shows Enron was more concerned with "escalating gas and electricity prices, from which it benefited, than in helping to fix the broken energy market." In the memo, Enron urged the administration to reject price caps on wholesale electricity and support the creation of regional transmission organizations. Enron also sought the creation of a new energy trading market that could have enriched the company's existing trading businesses..... In April, the state's power grid said energy wholesalers, which included Enron, had overcharged the state $124 million..... http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20020127/wl/afghan_secret_war_3.html Special Forces Wage Secret Afghan War By ELLEN KNICKMEYER, Associated Press Writer KANDAHAR, Afghanistan (news - web sites) (AP) - They are the secret warriors in America's hidden war: CIA (news - web sites) and Special Operations forces who ride into battle on pickup trucks, dune buggies and helicopters. ....The men themselves go to lengths to protect their identities. Reporters have repeatedly accused Special Operations forces of setting local gunmen against them when journalists trail the operatives or the Afghan officials they often accompany. ``Don't worry, they won't kill you,'' one Special Forces agent told an AP photographer in December, as tribal fighters near the mountains of Tora Bora shook down a group of photojournalists for their cameras and other gear. The Pentagon has refused to comment on the incident. http://www.cnn.com/2002/ALLPOLITICS/01/29/inv.terror.probe/index.html Bush asks Daschle to limit Sept. 11 probes WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush personally asked Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle Tuesday to limit the congressional investigation into the events of September 11, congressional and White House sources told CNN. The request was made at a private meeting with congressional leaders Tuesday morning. Sources said Bush initiated the conversation. He asked that only the House and Senate intelligence committees look into the potential breakdowns among federal agencies that could have allowed the terrorist attacks to occur, rather than a broader inquiry that some lawmakers have proposed, the sources said. Tuesday's discussion followed a rare call to Daschle from Vice President Dick Cheney last Friday to make the same request.... "The vice president expressed the concern that a review of what happened on September 11 would take resources and personnel away from the effort in the war on terrorism," Daschle told reporters. But, Daschle said, he has not agreed to limit the investigation. "I acknowledged that concern, and it is for that reason that the Intelligence Committee is going to begin this effort, trying to limit the scope and the overall review of what happened," said Daschle, D-South Dakota. "But clearly, I think the American people are entitled to know what happened and why," he said. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=%2Fc%2Fa%2F2002%2F01%2F30%2FM N46204.DTL THE ENRON COLLAPSE Memo details Cheney--Enron links Company's suggestions resembled elements of the administration's energy policy David Lazarus, Chronicle Staff Writer Wednesday, January 30, 2002 While the White House insists that details of its talks with Enron officials remain secret, a memo outlining those discussions reveals the extent to which the Houston energy giant lobbied to influence government policy. The memo, a copy of which was obtained by The Chronicle, was handed by former Enron Chairman Ken Lay to Vice President Dick Cheney last April when the two met to discuss the administration's response to California's energy crisis. <A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance�not soap-boxing�please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'�with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds�is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply. Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A> http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ <A HREF="http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A> ======================================================================== To subscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email: SUBSCRIBE CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED] To UNsubscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email: SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED] Om
