-Caveat Lector-

> It is hard to avoid the conclusion that he came because, like many
> Americans, he finds the heady rush of our class system irresistible.

No.  He went because he wanted to put an end to his career as an
American politician.

> Our snobbishness looks cute to Americans, for it makes them feel
> better about themselves, happily superior to our transparent,
> resentful insecurity. So it makes them interested in us - these funny
> Brits, with their quaint aristocratic ways - and, crucially, this in
> turn makes us feel important.

In short, the "humour" that emanates from across the pond can only be
viewed as representing the caricature of what once was a leading
society.  Some of us are well familiar with the "Buckets" and "AbFab"
and find it refreshing to know our forebears made the right travel
decisions.

What is "cute" about "snubbery" is its pretention to a past as if it
was still in the present.  This is promient in the names the
Britlanders apply to their ailing Isles:  "Great" Britain and
"United" "Kingdom".  What was once "great" consisted of an empire
that extended to every continent on the globe.  Now, perhaps, it
extends only to a few lesser islands in proximity to the continents.
What was once united has become shredded like a banner that has been
left in a too strong wind for too long.  (Whence comes the
wind?)(From the Winds or ...?)  And the glorious "kingdom": hasn't
anyone noticed that the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha has been a
matriarchy for some 50 years?  Ergo, it must therefore be a
"queendom", eh, wha', egad?

Don't worry about Rudi.  After all, he's a Republican and has been
through some difficult times, aside from being the outgoing mayor of
New York City.

A<>E<>R
Red River of the North
US of A

Integrity has no need of rules. -Albert Camus (1913-1960)
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust