-Caveat Lector-

<http://www.goupstate.com/docs/Opinion/Editorials/5878.asp>http://www.goupstate.com/docs/Opinion/Editorials/5878.asp
---

    Published: February 21, 2002
    State of mistrust
    South Carolina agencies continue to violate citizens' privacy. This
    time the state is distributing our children's DNA. Lawmakers need to
    institute firmer rules on the collection and distribution of
    individuals' personal information.

    Once again South Carolina's state government has proven that it can't
    be trusted with the personal information it demands from its citizens.
    South Carolinians had hoped it was a fluke when the state sold the
    information on 3.5 million people's driver's licenses to a New
    Hampshire company without their permission or even notification.
    Citizens thought that the outrage from that incident surely would make
    state officials more responsible about how they handle the personal
    information citizens are forced to give the state.
    But last week South Carolinians learned that -- without their
    knowledge or permission -- the state had created a DNA library on our
    children. By law, babies are tested for specific genetic diseases
    after they are born. The state Department of Health and Environmental
    Control has been saving all of those samples since 1995 in a special
    deep freeze facility.
    State officials told us not to worry. These genetic blueprints of our
    children are safe with them. This information could not be misused.
    This week we learned that the information has already been misused.
    Without the permission of these DNA donors or their parents, the state
    has given some of the samples to a genetics laboratory and gave others
    to the State Law Enforcement Division to help start a DNA databank
    there.
    Are there any parents left who still trust the state with this
    information? It's not likely.
    Do South Carolinians want a genetics lab experimenting on their
    children's DNA? Did state officials ever think to ask? And what right
    does SLED have to include our innocent children's DNA in its databank?
    Legislative remedies for this problem have been discussed in Columbia.
    They range from the immediate destruction of the DNA samples held by
    DHEC to a system in which parents can instruct the state not to keep
    their children's samples. Clearly, the state must institute a process
    that -- at a bare minimum -- requires DHEC to get parental permission
    to keep the samples.

    [...]