-Caveat Lector-

AIRLINES FLIGHT 93 SHOT DOWN BY U.S. FIGHTER?
(c) 9/14/01 Ian Williams Goddard

Yesterday (9/13/01) a Reuters report stated that the
FBI cannot rule out that hijacked Flight 93 was shot
down by a US fighter jet before it crashed in
Pennsylvania. [1] Citing indications of a shoot
down, the report states:

"Pennsylvania state police officials said on Thursday
debris from the plane had been foundm up to 8 miles
away [from the crash site] in a residential community
where local media have quoted residents as speaking of
a second plane in the area and burning debris falling
from the sky."

Finding debris miles from the crash site indicates
that the aircraft was disintegrating well before it
hit the ground, as would be the case if the other
plane witnesses saw shot it down. The Pittsburgh
Post-Gazette reports that the debris found miles from
the
crash site included "clothing, books, papers and what
appeared to be human remains." [2] The secretary of
defense says Flight 93 was not shot down.[3]

While major media have widely reported that a frantic
911 call was made from Flight 93 stating "We are being
hijacked, We are being hijacked," a local Pennsylvania
paper reports that the passenger also reported hearing
an explosion and seeing smoke coming from the plane,
consistent with a shoot down. As the Somerest, PA
paper The Daily American states:

"[A] passenger locked in a bathroom aboard United
Flight 93 called the 911 ... 'We are being hijacked,
we are being hijacked!' dispatch supervisor Glenn
Cramer from Westmoreland County quoted the man from
a transcript of the call. The man told dispatchers the
plane 'was going down. He heard some sort of explosion
and saw white smoke coming from the plane and we lost
contact with him,' Cramer said." [4]

So we have (1) witness accounts of a second plane in
the area, (2)burning debris falling, (3) debris
falling up to 8 miles from the crash site, (4) human
remains falling miles from the crash site, and
(5) reports from a passenger that an explosion was
heard near the plane and white smoke was coming from
the plane. Do these facts support early reports that
Flight 93 was shot down by a US fighter jet? At the
least these facts appear to be inconsistent with the
leading scenario being played in the media that the
plane crashed as a result of a struggle for control on
board the doomed flight.

[1] Reuters: FBI Cannot Rule Out Shootdown of Penn.
Plane. By David Morgan. September 13, 2001.
<http://us.news2.yimg.com/f/42/31/7m/dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010913/>
ts/attack_pennsylvania_dc_4.html

[2] Pittsburg Post-Gazette: Investigators locate
'black box' from
Flight 93; widen search area in Somerset crash. By T.
Gibb, J.
O'Toole, C. Lash. September 13, 2001.
<http://post-gazette.com/headlines/20010913somersetp3.asp>

[3] Pittsburg Post-Gazette: Somerset crash scene
searched; 'hero'
may have aborted terror mission. By T. Gibb, C. Lash
J. O'Toole.
September 12, 2001. Can't reaquire URL via search.

[4] Daily American: International terror touches
Somerset County.
By Sandra Lepley.
<http://www.dailyamerican.com/disaster.html>

http://sports.yahoo.com/