Title: Mexico Seeks US Withdrawal to pre-1848 Borders

Mexico Seeks US Withdrawal to pre-1848 Borders
By Hidalgo Riviera
BSNN.net - April 30, 2002

Aztlan Map

Above: This map shows how the boundaries would change under a new Mexican proposal that seeks to have the US withdraw to pre-1848 borders.

WASHINGTON (BSNN Headline News)- Mexican President Vicente Fox yesterday presented President Bush with a stunning proposal aimed at prolonging "peaceful relations" between the US and Mexico. The 1-point proposal, which Fox handed Bush during their recent session at a Washington DC Chi Chi's, is intended to be a comprehensive, long-term resolution of the many problems facing the two nations. The Mexican solution calls for a US withdrawal to pre-1848 borders.

White House spokesman Hari Flascher said that President Bush considered the Mexican proposal "helpful and constructive."

"There was a lot of overlap with the president's own ideas," Flascher said. "Including the idea of giving California and its 54 electoral votes, or Arizona and its gray-haired Senator, back to the country that rightfully owns them."

Another positive aspect of the Mexican proposal from the Bush Administration's point of view is the elimination of the issue of amnesty for illegal Mexican immigrants.

"Let's face it," Flascher conceded. "Most of the illegal Mexicans in this country reside in areas the US conquered illegitimately anyway."

One potential trouble spot is the US withdrawal from the Republic of Texas. The Bush Ranch is located in Crawdad, Texas, and the president loves it very much. But the administration's willingness to leave the door open for discussion of the future of Texas was a reflection of its eagerness to portray the president as a uniter not a divider.

"We both came to agreement on the vision for the future of our two nations," Bush said. "The intention of the meeting was to see whether we could achieve a common agreement on how to get all these illegal Mexicans-and John McCain-out of the country without angering Hispanic-American voters and Chris Matthews."

"On some points," Bush added, "we have reached agreement, like returning California and Arizona to Mexico, while on others, like what to do with the Crawdad Ranch, we have not yet reached agreement. But we are working hard on having itagreement, I mean."

But President Bush, while hailing the Mexican plan as positive, said that a complete return to pre-1848 borders would "destroy the United States."

Meanwhile, the Mexican Government has insisted that its state should include all the territory "ceded under duress" in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which ended the Mexican-American war.

"We view the existing boundary between the US and Mexico not so much as a border, but as a cease-fire line," President Fox explained.

The Bush Administration disagrees, saying that US security needs require a presence in strategic parts of the Southwest and that some of the American settlements built during the 154 years of occupation should be incorporated into the United States. As it stands now, the Bush Administration is prepared to return all of California and Arizona, and major portions of New Mexico and Texas, but insists that Colorado, Utah and Nevada are "not open for discussion."

An overnight MSNBC/Rasmussen/Reuters/Fox News/ Wallstreet Journal/BSNN.net poll suggests that most Americans favor returning all or part of the Southwest to Mexico if it would end the illegal alien problem. And when asked whether they would be willing to live in a Mexican state, only 25% of Californians polled said no. 15% percent of Californians said they would not continue living in California if it were returned to Mexico, while 60% of Californians think they already are living in Mexico.

© 2002 BSNN.net All Rights Reserved. Reposting permitted only with this message intact.

| |

<<Parody1846Map020430.jpg>>