-Caveat Lector-

Bush And Hitler? We Report, You Decide. Much fuss was made recently about the German
justice minister who compared George W. Bush with Adolf Hitler. There would be no fuss
and no controversy about it if there was not some truth in it. If anyone had compared
Bill
Clinton to Adolf Hitler, you could only laugh, no one even thought to think that, it
didn't apply
at all. Bill Clinton was and is a sincere promoter of peace and prosperity. But
comparing
Bush to Hitler is not totally out of the question.

Hitler was an insane and vicious madman, of low intelligence but with a persuasive
charisma, on the far right politically, and who took Germany into wars invading other
countries for supposedly great patriotic purposes, security of the republic, and
empire-
building. He was an egomaniac, a bully, a dictator, and a ruthless tyrant who believed
in
using domination, violence and killing to achieve his political aims. He had no sincere
respect or concern for the national constitution, civil rights, individual freedoms,
or a
building a prosperous economy, and his regime brought great harm to his country. He
became drunk with power and aimed to create a dominating world empire ruled by him.

Hitler presided over a major national disaster (the burning of the Reichstag, the
national
parliament building) which he was discovered later to have participated in creating.
That
event gave him the opportunity to declare an emergency and expand his dictatorial
powers
further, so as to enforce his fascist beliefs and goals into societal reality and gain
personal
benefits as well. He used the war-terminology "homeland" often, and whipped up fervent
patriotism to support his wars. He used war as a means to distract people from domestic
troubles and issues (the specific comparison the German justice minister made), kept
the
population of the country in constant fear, and exploited that fear for his own
purposes.
Hitler said in his writings that if you cannot create war then at least continue to
propagate
the idea that war is coming. Never leave people in peace, because when they are in
peace,
you are nobody. Then they don't need you; your very purpose is gone. They need you only
when there is danger; so create danger. If there is not real danger, at least create
the
climate of a false danger.

A relevant story, reported to have been a conversation between George Bernard Shaw and
a female dinner guest: Shaw asked, "If a man you just met offered you a million
dollars to
have sex with you, would you do it?" She thought a moment and said,"Well, yes I think I
would." "OK, so if a man you just met offered you fifty dollars to have sex with you,
then
would you do it?" Shaw asked. "No, of course not!" she replied indignantly, "what do
you
think I am?" "We have already established that," Shaw responded, "now we're only
haggling about the price!"

That's w[h]ere we are with respect to a comparison between Hitler and Bush. Not about
if
he's like Hitler, but only about how much so. --R. E. Bell, October 4, 2002