-Caveat Lector-

http://debate.uvm.edu/handbookfile/WMD2002/089o.htm

AFF/ WMD HAVE BEEN USED FOR CENTURIES AGAINST NATIVE AMERICANS

WMD HAVE BEEN USED HISTORICALLY AGAINST MNATIVE AMERICANS

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    "If used in numbers, atomic bombs not only can nullify any nation's military
effort, but
can demolish its social and economic structure and prevent their re-establishment for
long
periods of time. With such weapons, especially if employed in conjunction with other
weapons of mass destruction such as pathogenic bacteria, it is quite possible to
depopulate
vast areas of the earth's surface, leaving only vestigial remnants of man's material
works."
Report of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Operations Crossroads, June 30, 1947 (17).  As we
explore the issue of weapons of mass destruction in conjunction with the history of the
Native Americans, the picture that will be drawn is that this statement to the Joint
Chiefs of
Staff is not a passing statement of recognition, but a declaration of what the true
reality is
for all secretive and deadly munitions.

MANY FORMS OF WMD ARE USED AGAINST NATIVE AMERICANS

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

   As we examine past history comparing it with the present, it will show its demonic
head
desiring to exterminate not just the "vestigial remnant[s]" of man's works, but, man
himself. This war is not limited to an enemy, an enemy's weapons or capabilities, but
against all life forms. Often the true intent is hidden under the need to fight off a
supposed
enemy, as in the cold war era or the need to protect the country against a "possible"
invasion of like kind such as the Iraqi pretense. The need to protect against an
invasion
from without is, in reality, a facade to draw the gaze from the enemy within.

    The most secret weapons of mass destruction are combined with known WMD to
complete the extermination. As one rock and roll group called MegaDeath advertised
their
tour as "Count Down to Extinction", even so, those who are in the power to wield these
weapons seem hell- bent on total annihilation.

AMERICA HAS, IN THE PAST, USED CHEMICAL AND BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS AGAINST
NATIVE AMERICANS

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    While it may not be thought of as chemical biological warfare from a modern
perspective, CBW has been around a long time when current definitions are applied. In
past
wars, men have poisoned wells, burned crops and catapulted rotting dead bodies infected
with disease over the walls of their enemies. Modern warfare has become increasingly
sophisticated in these applications. We may not catapult a dead body over a wall, but
any
chemical or biological agent introduced into the sovereign nation of another producing
injury or death will qualify. If we examine past U.S. history and compare it to the
current
day applications of CBW, we can draw some striking similarities and parallels in the
present
use of WMD. This may also show us where prevalent U.S. practices will lead in the
future
and the purpose for its steady production despite popular protest.

HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF NATIVE PEOPLE WERE KILLED BY COLONIALIZATION, WHOLE
PEOPLES WIPED OUT

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    When Christopher Columbus landed on Hispaniola, the estimates for the number of
Native Americans were astronomical in comparison to what the number is today. Estimates
place 800 separate nations, with one-hundred fifty language families and 1,500 to 2,000
dialects. Population studies show between seventy-five to one-hundred forty-five
million
inhabitants in North and South America. By 1890, the number in North America had been
reduced to 250,000. Total tribes have been annihilated.

SPANISH WEAPONS WERE AS WMD TO NATIVE PEOPLES THEY MET

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    Sizing up the weapons of the natives Columbus noted, "The people of this island
and of
all the other islands which I have found and seen . . . have no iron or steel weapons,
nor
are they capable of using them, although they are well-built people of handsome
stature,
because they are wondrous timid." Going on to describe the natives he says, "They are
so
artless and free with all they possess, that no one would believe it without having
seen it.
Of anything they have, if you ask them for it, they never say no; rather they invite
the
person to share it, and show as much love as if they were giving their hearts; and
whether
the thing be of value or small price, at once they are content with whatever little
thing of
whatever kind may be given them." (18). With no weapons to fight ironclad soldiers who
came brandishing swords and guns led by trained man-eating dogs, the Spanish met little
resistance from these docile naked people.

EUROPEANS BROUGHT BIOLOGICAL WARFARE TO THE NEW WORLD

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    When the Spaniards came to North America, Europe had already been ravaged with
smallpox, measles, bubonic plague, diphtheria, influenza, yellow fever, typhoid,
syphilis,
tuberculosis and a host of other plagues. But the Americas had been isolated from these
great ravages. When the sailing ships appeared on the horizon, they came not only to
plunder but to spread their diseases as well. While it is not documentable that the
Spanish
deliberately spread diseases, it is well documented that they were merciless with the
natives. Whole nations were destroyed by the invaders and their European plagues.
Estimates nearing a 98% death rate from diseases alone are not uncommon. One island
group that demonstrates the horrendous extent of the slaying was the Dominican Republic
and Haitian islands named Hispaniola by Columbus.

WMD KILLED 8 MILLION PEOPLE ON HISPANIOLA ALONE BETWEEN 1492 AND 1535

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    Hispaniola had an estimated original population nearing 8,000,000 by some sources.
>From 1492 to 1496 the population had fallen to four or five million. By 1508 it was
>down to
less than 100,000 and by 1518 the populace stood around 23,000. By 1535 "for all
practical
purposes the native population was extinct." (Bartolome de las Casas-1). The terrible
inroads of disease combined with the sword, slavery, starvation and suicide brought on
by
the former evils had reduced a once prolific people in forty-three years to
extinction. These
same statistics can be applied to the North American natives with blood-chilling
accuracy.

NATIVE PEOPLES IN THE AMERICAS WERE WIPED OUT BY GERMS AND WEAPONS

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    In Florida the Timucuan people were 90% dead by 1607 and by 1617 they were cut in
half again by the invaders' germs and weapons. This mind-boggling death rate reduced
720,000 natives to 36,000. (18). The weapons used by the Spanish were very effective.
By
1607, with the first small colony of 104 that settled at Jamestown, the continent was
already reeling under a massive invasion of diseases and violence that had reduced the
population to near extinction in comparison to what it was. Some of the closest smaller
tribes were already extinct. They were wiped out before anyone could record their
existence.

SMALLPOX WAS USED TO WIPE OUT NATIVE AMERICANS

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    Three important points to remember for effective biological munitions are: first,
the
introduction of chronic illnesses for which there is no known cure. The second, cloak
the
toxin under a guise so the "enemy" takes it unawares until it is too late. Finally,
combine
weapons so that what one weapon fails to accomplish, the subsequent weapons will
finish.
The British had seen the effectiveness of diseases among the natives and employed a
disguise.

    An English general named Jeffery Amherst understood this when, in April 1763, he
offered a reward for Pontiac who had banded the tribes together against the British
invasion. Amherst states, "Could it not be contrived to send a smallpox among those
disaffected tribes of Indians? We must on this occasion use every stratagem in our
power
to reduce them. You will do well to try to inoculate the Indians by means of blankets
to try
and extirpate this execrable race." The tribes "inoculated" in this campaign were the
Shawnee, Odawa and the Onondaga tribes. One native remarked afterwards, "terrible
sickness among us, nothing but dead bodies among us." (4).

SMALLPOX ATTACK ON NATIVE AMERICANS WAS THE MOST SUCCESSFUL EXAMPLE OF
BIOLOGICAL WARFARE IN HISTORY

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    Speaking of the smallpox plague among the natives, Laurie Garret in her book, The
Coming Plague, adds in a footnote that "smallpox may have been the most useful weapon
of biological warfare in world history." When one views the amount of desolation from
this
one disease in North America alone, it is not hard to come to the same conclusion.

COLONIZERS COMBINED SIEASE WITH THE SWORD TO WIPE OUT NATIVE PEOPLES

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    Diseases were not fast enough to accomplish the dreaded annihilation, so they
combined
this biological warfare with the sword, guns and hunting dogs as the Spanish did to
exterminate the "vermin." That the mercilessness of the British was not forgotten by
invading settlers can be seen on the "trail of tears." On the trail of tears, which
was nearly
300 miles in length, the Cherokee Indians were deliberately marched past areas known to
have outbreaks of cholera and other epidemic diseases. To add to their debilitated
state
from diseases, the freezing weather, and the forced death march, they were fed spoiled
flour and rancid meat. Nearly 8,000 died on this march out of 17,000.

USA HAS DENIED TREATMENT OF DISEASE FOR NATIVE AMERICANS AS AN ACT OF
BIOLOGICAL WARFARE

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    Another logical step in biological warfare is the deliberate withholding of
treatments for
diseases. One case among the Native Americans is the Apaches and their fight with
tuberculosis. "Tuberculosis was allowed to affect the Apaches, e.g., the government
could
have returned the people to the southwest, which at the time was a popular remedy for
TB.
Instead, the government refused to allow the sick and dying Apaches to come home.
So...not overtly, but certainly covertly, the government exercised revenge on the
Apaches.
And, if they could do that to one tribe, they could do it to all who resisted the
encroachment." (21). In many cases there may have been no deliberate attempt at
withholding a cure, but the end result was welcomed. We will see in future articles
that this
area of CBW is just as important as finding the right biological toxic agent that has
no cure.

EDUCATION WAS USED AS A WMD AGAINST NATIVE AMERICANS

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    In the beginning there may have been some with good intentions in regard to
educating
the Native Americans, but the good intentions were lost in the prejudice and
bureaucracy.
After forcing education on the children, the government gained control over their
lives. Any
handout provided after the Native Americans were forced off their lands, forced onto
reservations with little or no substance, forced into accepting food when the buffalo
were
slaughtered, forced into accepting clothing because there were no hides for skins,
forced
into accepting tools when all their weapons were taken away, forced into making
treaties
that were repeatedly broken by the white man, was taken as a gracious gift requiring
greater surrender, greater homage to the gracious giver. Logan proved this when he
attempted to strip Sitting Bull of his position as chief by his remarks.

    The WMD in these instances are not bombs or anthrax; they are more subtle. The
weapons are gifts given to a down-trodden race deprived of the basic necessities of
life
being forced to accept them in order to avoid eradication by starvation. Then, when
they do
accept them out of cruel need, they are degraded for doing so by stinging words of
animosity designed to rip away the slightest shred of human dignity. Does this sound
familiar? Can we not see in this beginning a forecast of the present movement against
the
Iraqis with forced starvation?

WOUNDED KNEE MASSACRE WAS THE EVENT WHICH ILLUSTRATED THE USE OF WMD
AGAINST NATIVE AMERICANS

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    The Battle at Wounded Knee has been called the final Native American battle. It
was not
the last because there were battles fought after it. There was the 1913 Navajo war in
New
Mexico and the 1915 Paiute war in Colorado. It was not the bloodiest in terms of number
slain, neither was it greater in atrocities because of the manner in which it was
done. What
makes the battle the last was the finality it brought to all Native American dreams.
It brings
all the pieces of the Native American tragedy together. At Wounded Knee we see every
avenue brought to bear with cruel, devastating force upon the red man. By understanding
the Native American's story, in terms of weapons of mass destruction, a larger picture
begins to develop.

THE HISTORY OF AMERICA’S RELATIONSHIP WITH NATIVE PEOPLES IS BEST SEEN IN
TERMS OF WMD

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    In 1864 Benito Juarez told Emperor Maximilian of Mexico, "It is given to men, Sir,
attack the rights of others, to take their property, to attempt the lives of those who
defend
their liberty, and to make of their virtues a crime and their own vices a virtue; but
there is
one thing which is beyond the reach of perversity, and that is the tremendous verdict
of
history. History will judge us." (14) If past history of the U.S. judges it correctly,
we can
read in it broken treaties to sovereign nations that to this day have not been kept.
We see
endless greed for power and wealth fueled by an unsatiable desire to control and
dominate
to the death, others less fortunate. We see weapons of mass destruction used to drive
extinction all who get in the way.

MULTIPLE WMD HAVE BEEN USED AGAINST NATIVE AMERICANS

World Internet News Distribution Service, 3/19/98, NATIVE AMERICANS & WEAPONS OF
MASS DESTRUCTION, http://thewinds.arcsnet.net/arc_features/newworld/
weapons_of_destruction1.html //VT2002acsln

    The greater weapons of debt, forced taxation, forced religion, soul-destroying
education
and the current news media are not heralded and for good reason. The greater the
weapon, the greater the need to hide it. What greater mask could one wear than one that
has a smiling face of love that speaks, "Peace on Earth and Good Will to all Men." (2)
The
Native American's continuing travesty has set precedents that have continued from then
until the present day. Sun Tzu, the ancient war guru of 500 BC, said - "The best way
to win
a war is to win it without fighting a battle."

    As we view the formation of the New World Order, we can easily see that the weapons
of subjugation have not changed. We may see in the annihilation of the Native Americans
the future for all the world. History is being repeated. The faces may change, the
spirit
remains the same.