[ Busy summer, I'm behind on everything... ]

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 05:16:18PM +0000 I heard the voice of
Yumekui Neru, and lo! it spake thus:

> When I try to enter text in e.g the urlbar in firefox, focus is
> sometimes seeming a bit weird, as if the urlbar is flashing trying
> to open suggested matches (based on search history), but then loses
> focus and closes again.

I do see this.  My guess it that's it something along the lines of
focus following mouse, FF creating a new X [sub]window for the
search/history/etc results, the focus passing into it, and then FF
seeing that its main window has lost focus and interpreting that as
"user's elsewhere, pop down the stuff".

I haven't tried investigating further though, so that's just a guess.
It'd take some tracing to verify just what's happening.  I mostly just
hack around it by slapping the mouse down toward the bottom of the
browser window so it doesn't intersect where the box shows up...

> Rather than suggest previous searches that resulted from appending
> to the url (usually subpages on the same domain), firefox tends to
> suggest wildly different urls now and then -- only sometimes
> suggesting urls on the same domain.

That I'm pretty confident isn't ctwm's fault   :)

> Is this something some of the slightly esoteric application-specific
> ctwm-options might help solve (IgnoreTransient, DontSetInactive) ?

IgnoreTransient might have some impact on the focus stuff.  I wouldn't
expect anything DontSetInactive does to be anywhere neat it though.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fulle...@over-yonder.net