Hi all,

I'm making a keyboarder-friendly ctwm setup, and part of that means
that I instantiate applications using dmenu, an external program that
quickly lets you run any command on $PATH.

Naturally, I want the newly instantiated application to have full
focus, so that I can start typing into it without needing to do
anything with the mouse (which would greatly slow my speed). Also, I
want to get rid of the feature by which focus comes and goes according
to where the mouse is.

Naturally, I *DO* want to be able to *click* on a window and have it
gain focus. I just want focus to be completely independent of where the
mouse moves or hovers. You can think of this as the ctwm you'd like to
have if your computer had no mouse.

So here's how I did it. in my .ctwmrc:

######## BEGIN STEVE LITT'S KBD ENHANCEMENT SETTINGS #########
ClickToFocus            # Prevent mouse movement changing focus
RaiseOnClick            # Window rises when clicked
RaiseOnClickButton 1    # When clicked with button 1, that is.
UsePPosition "on"       # Help kbd instantiated windows get focus
RandomPlacement "on"    # Help kbd instantiated windows get focus
AutoFocusToTransients   # Help kbd instantiated windows get focus
SaveWorkspaceFocus      # Obviously workspace focus should be retained
WindowRing              # Enable Alt+Tab type window circulation
WarpRingOnScreen        # Enable Alt+Tab type window circulation
IgnoreCaseInMenuSelection # Make menus much easier via keyboard
########  END  STEVE LITT'S KBD ENHANCEMENT SETTINGS #########

Works great. If you're a keyboard type of person, you should try it.

And be sure to integrate Suckless Tools' dmenu into your ctwm via an
easy hotkey. Big time productivity enhancement.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr