On Thu 17 Oct 2019 at 11:23:58 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> In any case, I'm now running with the patch below (i.e. Maxime's but
> without the KDE part, with a few comments added, and using the {...}
> syntax to initialize the array) and it also fixes the problem for me.

Maybe we need some further change to support receiving
_NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS ? On the other hand, what we're doing here
now seems to be much like what happens if _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS is
received for every window (we always add the property when a window gets
mapped).

The "specification" isn't entirely explicit on this point. On the one
hand, it says "The Window Manager MUST set _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS" (at
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#idm140200472552416
) but then the _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS action "To retrieve such an
estimate [about an unmapped window], the Client MUST send a
_NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS message to the root window. The Window
Manager MUST respond by estimating the prospective frame extents and
setting the window's _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS property accordingly. "
(https://specifications.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#idm140200472648576)
is rather superfluous...

Maybe they mean that _NET_FRAME_EXTENTS is meant to be set only *after*
a window is mapped, and _NET_REQUEST_FRAME_EXTENTS can request that it
happens earlier. But then they might have mentioned that a bit more
clearly.

>         Stefan
-Olaf.
--
Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert -- rhialto at falu dot nl
___  Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on