I wrote about recent changes in fedora installations, including F31:

> Although grub.cfg now has a completely new format and I have managed to
> boot Fedora (XFCE version, which has worked well for me for several years)
> I cannot get it to boot to level 3, so I am forced to boot in graphical
> mode (level 5).

That required me to launch ctwm using the login menu in graphical mode,
instead of just booting into linux in command mode and running 'startx'
(using my .xinitrc to set up the environment and run ctwm).

I have now discovered that the problem seems to be that fedora kernel
updates use grubby, which appears to have changed recently. The 'man' file
ends thus:

    BUGS
       The command line syntax is more than a little baroque. This probably
       won't be fixed as grubby is only intended to be called from shell scripts
       which can get it right.

However, I have found that after grubby has screwed things up when
installing a new kernel I can run:

    grub2 -mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

and get back my old functionality, by removing 'quiet' in the relevant
lines (I prefer to see what's happening during a boot, or when resuming
from hibernate) and adding '3', to boot into non-graphical mode, after
which I can run ctwm via 'startx'.

So now I can boot into level 3 and run startx.

I still can't work out how to make windows 10 bootable again, but that's
not urgent for me. I don't know whether a recent linux update screwed it
up, or it screwed itself up (more likely?).

Aaron