I wrote

> The new Ctwm configuration without title bars seems to work well...
>
> One unexpected consequence is: on the laptop firefox now detects the lack
> of a title bar and conveniently adds three new symbols on top right on the
> laptop:
>
>     underscore -> minimise (has to be retrieved from iconmanager)
>     box        -> toggle between maximise and minimise.
>                   (Symbol becomes smaller when window is maximised,)
>     cross      -> delete window

It turns out that I was partly mistaken: Firefox only does this when
invoked at linux run-level 3.

Some background:
Using the Fedora XFCE version of linux, I can invoke CTWM in two ways:

Boot to level 5 (full graphical login) and choose to login using CTWM
as specified in

    /usr/share/xsessions/ctwm.desktop

containing:

    [Desktop Entry]
    Name=Ctwm
    Comment=Log in using the ctwm window manager (without a session manager)
    Exec=$HOME/.xinitrc
    Icon=
    Type=Application

That xsessions entry makes the graphical login system offer cwtm as one of
the options at level 5 -- the default boot level.

If I do that and run ctwm without title bars, firefox does NOT provide the
special menu with the above extra 3 buttons.

Alternatively I can run ctwm at level 3, either by doing 'init 3' after
logging in at level 5, or altering the grub.cfg boot file to boot to
runlevel 3. (Booting to level 3 is my preferred option, but a bit messy to
set up, including starting network properly, with preferred local
internet address etc.)

If I run firefox in that level 3 context it DOES provide the special menu
with three extra buttons at top right (minimise, maximise to full screen or
kill firefox).

So firefox does something more complex than detect the lack of a title bar!

---

Aaron