There have been several responses to my query about this which mention
processing of fonts related to buttons added to the title bar.

I don't think I ever reported that I tried removing all title-bar buttons
except the two  built in items at top left (iconize) and top right
(resize), neither of which can be removed without removing the whole
titlebar.

Removing all the user-specified buttons made no difference to the height of
titlebar: it remained taller than it used to be until the height
mysteriously increased a few weeks ago, though only on my laptop.

Do the two built in left and right buttons depend on font processing?

Ctwm on my PC does not have this problem. Neither did laptops using ctwm
for many years.

Anyhow, having tried living without titlebars on the laptop's small screen
I no longer miss them. The alternative functionality provided by menus and
mouse-button actions works well enough, and I've gained a small amount of
useful screen space in various windows.

That does not get rid of my curiosity about what caused the thicker title
bars. They suddenly arrived in the middle of a long process of reinstalling
my old linux functionality after being forced to reinstall following a
failed attempt to shrink windows 10 -- which stopped everything working.

After I had reinstalled windows 10 from a usb stick, followed by
reinstalling fedora 31 from a usb stick, I had to gradually build up the
collection of rpms I previously had on the laptop, using an old list of
installed packages as a guide.

At first I had ctwm working as previously, with small title bar and my old
buttons. But after installing a lot more missing packages I suddenly found
ctwm title bars had grown taller, and nothing I tried could undo that.

Perhaps that summary will suggest something I did wrong, though it's purely
an academic question for me now that I've been converted to ctwm without
title bars on the laptop.

A remote possibility is that one of the several fedora 31 updates that have
occurred in the past few weeks is responsible.

I may later get rid of titlebars on my desktop PC, after the new one I've
ordered arrives -- on which I'll install F31.

I'll first try running with titlebars for a while to see if I can replicate
the problem that's on the laptop running F31.

Despite these problems I remain grateful for ctwm. It's more easily
configurable than any other window manager I have tried and it seems to be
very light-weight, always using a tiny fraction of memory and cpu time as
shown by top or htop.

Aaron.