On 13/07/2020 22.00, Stefan Monnier wrote:

which means that the session-controlling process is the xterm,
not the window manager.

Note that all "DE"s have a dedicated "session process", so you can kill
the window manager and it won't terminate your session.
E.g. I use XFCE and haven't bothered to arrange for ctwm to be started
properly, so every time I log in I have to do the funny dance:

     pkill xfwm4; ctwm&

Have you tried 'ctwm --replace' or even change the configuration 'xfconf-query --channel xfce4-session --property /sessions/Failsafe/Client0_Command --set ctwm --force-array' ?

--
     //Aho