Steve, I wonder if you can help me.

you wrote:

> Why not just use ALSA? That's what I do, and except for a few snowflake
> programs like Zoom, everything works fine.

I had hoped I could tinker with my existing configuration to restore sound
output but so far nothing has worked.

    including use of alsamixer

    which now complains: cannot open mixer: Host is down

So I would like to find out how you use ALSA to see if I can copy what you do?

Do you set up ALSA after the ctwm interface (in my case with 4x3 virtual
desktops) starts up, or is it done earlier, e.g. while .ctwmrc is running?

So far I've been able to get sound by using VLC to play audio and video
recordings stored on my machine, by carefully selecting the appropriate VLC
options, but I haven't been able to get audio from a browser e.g. e.g. firefox
running BBC news.

I've tried running alsamixer explicitly on its own, but I now get

    alsamixer
    cannot open mixer: Host is down

I used to find pavucontrol useful, now I just get a blank panel
except for

    'Establishing connection to PulseAudio please wait'

If I run 'startpulse' it doesn't change anything.

Anyhow I'll be grateful for a suggestion for something to go into .ctwmrc
or to be run in an xterm window after ctwm starts up, or to be put in a
ctwm menu item ....

At present if I try to run bbc audio (e.g. world service) I just get

    This content doesn't seem to be working

If I launch iplayer and try to run something with sound and video the video
plays, and the time slider moves, but there's no sound even with the volume
slider set to full.

I have the impression that something is very nearly working, but not quite!

Currently running Fedora 37
kernel 6.0.17-300.fc37.x86_64 last updated Wed 4th Jan

Thanks.

Aaron
http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~axs