On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 01:45:06PM +0100 I heard the voice of
Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker, and lo! it spake thus:

> You mention the auto* tools, and although they are good and tested,
> the result is definitely not portable outside of the Unix family or
> operating systems, and there are much more that have X11.

As well, not everybody is a big fan of auto*...

>>  * README should explain that if you want to install the manual
>>    page (and who doesn't?), you should also do "make install.man"
>>    in addition to "make install". Again, the idea of doing "make
>>    install.man" went the way of the dodo, but if ctwm keeps it we
>>    should at least document it.
>
> From everything I can find (the worst thing with imake is it's
> *utter* *lack* *of* *documentation*!), that's the way it's supposed
> to be, probably to avoid reinstalling the man pages multiple times
> on a shared filesystem in a heterogenous environment.

Changing it would require some hackery in higher-level build systems,
too.  For instance, FreeBSD ports knows that Imake-managed build
systems use install.man to install manpages, so it will do the
install.man as part of its install process already.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]