Hi Stefan,

thanks for the clarification!

Stefan Monnier wrote

> I think I know this bug.  So, I'm probably to blame for it, and many
> times at that: I wrote the AlwaysOnTop code, I bumped into this bug, and
> I even fixed it.  The only problem is that the fix is in my
> OnTopPriority patch (which introduces 16 planes rather than only
> "normal" and "alwaysontop", so you can place things above or below
> normal windows and above or below the other ones that are themselves
> "always on top") and that patch was never included in ctwm (mostly
> because it uses ANSI C constructs and ctwm was K&R back then).
>
> So, I guess I really should try and clean up my patch to integrate it.
> Thing is: it's a rather large patch.

I wonder if it was possible to extract the fix for the current ctwm release
from you larger patch, or if it is so interweaved with the new features that
this is not possible. I wouldn't mind to test sth. or play around with it by
myself if I had an idea (or code snippets or sth.) where in the code the
fix should happen.

Btw, the feature you describe sounds very interesting and I already run into
situations where I could have needed it, e.g. placing two gkrellms without
frames into/over each other so that they look like an xosview. The wrong
one always got on top :-)

cu,
Frank

--