"Daniel Stenberg" <dan...@haxx.se> wrote.

I mean, the "(nil)" looks ugly. So to give a nicer trace, when 'host.name' is known, why not use that instead when 'host.dispname' is NULL?

I don't get to see this. How do you get it like this? What name resolver is this libcurl built to use?

The standard AFAICS. I used '-DENABLE_IPV6' and no C-ares; so CURLRES_IPV6 and CURLRES_SYNCH becomes defined (ref. setup.h). I tried with C-ares too. But with the same "(nil)" in the trace. I fail to see that this is a resolver fault.

What is the purpose of setting 'host.dispname' to NULL anyway? An oversight?

I can only spot one place dispname gets assigned, and that is in the beginning of lib/url.c:fix_hostname() ...

Unless we use a proxy (I don't) or it's a fresh connection (not reusing).
So couldn't 'host.dispname' become undefined when reusing the connection
(following or what not)?

Right. Unless we can make dispname not be NULL at one single place first instead. Do you think that would be possible?

We could maybe hack ConnectionExists() instead. I don't understand the
details of it.

--gv