"Michael-O" <1983-01...@gmx.net> wrote:

Jackpot!

No proxies but I found several addresses in 192.168.56.*
This is the VirtualBox (version 4.1.24 installed) Host-Only Network adapter. I have disabled it, and boom curl resolves immediately. A bug in VirtualBox I would guess. Some similar issue is still open [1].

I see similar issues with "AsyncDNS" if I have a "dead" or really slow nameserver in the list of DNS-server libcurl is trying. Building without USE_ARES gives much better resolve times in this case. AFAICS since the WindDNS (the code enabled by USE_THREADS_WIN32) is smarter than C-ares is. "ipconfig /all" will give you a hint of what DNS-servers C-ares will try.

BTW. Gunter, your testspeed.bat file writes the test-file to disk
 and then deletes it right after. IMHO when testing just network speed,
 (and rule out a slow disk) you could write to the NUL-device and possibly
 eliminate some timing "errors":
   curl -s -A "%UAGENT%" -w "%OUTFMT%" -o NUL %BASEURL%/%DLFILE%

--gv