For me, I tend to prefer the HTML version over the man pages, but I have
always used the HTML pages on your website.   I have never used the locally
stored version and didn't even realize they came with the compressed file.
  I do still use the manpages, especially when I'm logged into a server

I just thought you'd like to know.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 2:41 AM, Daniel Stenberg <> wrote:

> Hi friends!
> Do the HTML and PDF versions of our man pages that we ship in every
> tarball provide any value to you?
> Removing them from the tarballs would take away between 30-35% of the
> compressed file size and thus produce much smaller release packages.
> A simple check right now:
>   bz2 - from 4047215 to 2568070 bytes
>   zip - from 7366802 to 5019690 bytes
> I just have the feeling that very few users actually care for these
> versions of the docs so we're just artifically bloat the package to very
> little gain.
> It would only remove them from releases, you could still build them
> locally if you'd like them. We also keep providing the HTML versions of all
> man pages on the web site and I suspect *that* is the primary source for
> curl docs to many/most people.
> --
>  /
> List admin: