Don,

> A preliminary test showed that the basic Curl-7.20 version builds
> successfully on XP, however it would seem that this build is void of the
> required libraries: openssl, c-ares or zlib.

Speaking for OpenSSL and Zlib - you have to build these yourself.  We recently
retired our XP build (as we moved off VC10) but I know that both of those
projects build OK with the older tools.

I hear where you are coming from (change as little as possible so as to keep
the old thing of life-support) but as a curl consumer, I would emphasise
Daniels suggestion of going to the latest and greatest (for curl and zlib at
least) both these products have (IMO) a good track record of not breaking the
ABI and if Daniel says it ain't broken it probably isn’t, it certainly won't be
purposely broken.

I don't include OpenSSL for want of evidence to the contrary.  I'll remark that
out move to 1.2 was reasonably complicated but that was because of our need to
dive inside OpenSLL's structures for our own needs.

FWIW
Rod