On Mon, 13 Aug 2018, Dan Fandrich via curl-library wrote:

I'm not sure I see the difference between these two approaches. Can you show them with some example URLs?

For example, + and ! are reserved characters in RFC 3986 but unreserved in RFC 2326 (RTSP), so a generic canonicalization might return rtsp://example.com/me%2byou%21 whereas an RTSP-specific canonicalization would return rtsp://example.com/me+you! At least, that's my interpretation after a quick reading of the RFCs.

Aha... well even if this is so, the effects of this will at least be mitigated by the fact that libcurl will still canonicalize them even if it wouldn't be perfect.

I mean a user who wants to compare two URLs should make sure to canonicalize *both* of them before the comparison. Then such suble details such as the one mentioned above will actually not matter since the end results from both those URLs should be the same. Even if another library with more specific domain knowledge possibly would end up with a slightly different output.

Or am I wrong?

--

 / daniel.haxx.se