> If you can reproduce, you can of course break-point or printf-debug those
> underlying functions to get more in-depth details about the particular
> failure. If your curl uses OpenSSL, lib/vtsl/openssl.c:ossl_recv() will be
> interesting!

So with SSL, we get:

A005 OK Logged in
A006 LIST "" "*"
TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS alert, close notify (256):
response reading failed

And in printf:

Curl_pp_readresp
ossl_recv
buffsize is 16384
SSL_read returned 0
SSL_get_error returned 6
SSL_ERROR_ZERO_RETURN
result from Curl_read is 0
gotbytes: 0
result is set to CURLE_RECV_ERROR

So any idea why a IMAP client would close the connection?

Full log:

  Trying xxx...
TCP_NODELAY set
Connected to xxx (xxx) port 143 (#0)
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE LITERAL+
STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5] Dovecot ready.
A001 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE LITERAL+ STARTTLS
AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
A001 OK Pre-login capabilities listed, post-login capabilities have more.
A002 STARTTLS
A002 OK Begin TLS negotiation now
TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server key exchange (12):
TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server finished (14):
TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client key exchange (16):
TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS change cipher, Change cipher spec (1):
TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
SSL connection using TLSv1.2 / ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
Server certificate:
 subject: xxx
 start date: xxx
 expire date: xxx
 issuer: C=US; O=GeoTrust Inc.; CN=GeoTrust SHA256 SSL CA
 SSL certificate verify result: unable to get local issuer certificate (20),
continuing anyway.
A003 CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE LITERAL+
AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN AUTH=DIGEST-MD5 AUTH=CRAM-MD5
A003 OK Pre-login capabilities listed, post-login capabilities have more.
A004 AUTHENTICATE DIGEST-MD5
+ xxx=
*
A004 BAD Authentication aborted by client.
A005 AUTHENTICATE CRAM-MD5
+ xx==
xxx=
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY
THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL
CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1
CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS
BINARY MOVE SNIPPET=FUZZY LITERAL+ NOTIFY METADATA SPECIAL-USE QUOTA ACL
RIGHTS=texk
A005 OK Logged in
A006 LIST "" "*"
TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS alert, close notify (256):
response reading failed
A007 LOGOUT
response reading failed
Closing connection 0
TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS alert, close notify (256):

Sincerely
Christian

--
Read our blog about news on our plugins:

http://www.mbsplugins.de/