On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 3:13 AM Daniel Stenberg <dan...@haxx.se> wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Oct 2019, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>
> >> The sad results is however that on this machine test 323 seems to work just
> >> fine even if I try to repeat it mant times! :-O
> >>
> >> The particular machine I used features a "AArch64 Processor rev 1
> >> (aarch64)" in a board called "APM X-Gene Mustang".
> >
> > The other ones to try is GCC117 or GCC118. They are roughly the same Aarch64
> > machines, but with CRC+Crypto. The Mustang boards lack the cpu features.
>
> I've now also ran test 323 on gcc117 and the test works fine for me there too.
>
> I noticed however that if I try to use valgrind for the tests on this machine,
> not a single TLS-related test seems to work. Calling RAND_status() in the
> OpenSSL 1.1.0l version triggers an 'Illegal instruction' error which sounds
> pretty bad! =(

That is probably either (1) Valgrind missing a VEX decode for an
instruction, or (2) OpenSSL performing a feature probe.

I used to encounter (1) all the time especially when compiling with
-march=native. For (2), feature probes are business as usual. See the
SIGILL topic at https://www.openssl.org/docs/faq.html#PROG .

For (1) you stop using Valgrind and file a bug report. (Or you build
Valgrind from sources hoping the VEX has been updated). For (2) you
ignore it.

> On gcc115 I could run 323 even with valgrind, but it sports OpenSSL 1.0.1f
> which I have no idea if it makes a difference or not.
>
> So, to sum it up: I still have no idea why test 323 fails on travis arm64!

Yeah, I would not worry too much about it until you determine the
cause. It could be something wonky like a bad shell interaction or
unexpected iptables result.

Jeff