I wouldn't mind sticking to version 7 for as long as there are no dramatic new
features or API changes that'd justify a version bump.

I don't like the current trend of bumping version numbers almost every year.
For example, it took about 10 years to go from gcc 4.0 to gcc 5.0. Roughly 2005
to 2015 I guess. Now it's 2020 and we're at gcc 10.0. Chrome is now at version
83.0. I think this is a bit silly. IMHO versions should only be bumped in case
of dramatic changes or improvements over the previous release.

$0.02

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:andr...@falkenhahn.com