On Fri 25 Dec 2015 at 16:02:57 +0000, Christos Zoulas wrote:
> Exactly, it depends if it makes sense to have a magic minor device like
> that... Does it?

Well, it seems that Linux has it. In fact, it has a single file for both
tap en tun (/dev/net/tun) and an ioctl to change it between tun and
tap.

I don't propose to go that far (I think needing to use an ioctl to
choose mode is inconvenient), but having the same facilities for tun and
tap would be nicely symmetrical.

(I'm looking at this because I'm reworking the networking part of the
klh10 PDP-10 emulator, at https://github.com/Rhialto/klh10/tree/libpcap,
and the more symmetrical I can make stuff the happier it makes me. Tun
is used for the KS10 with ITS, to make its IMP communicate with the
world.)

> christos
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- The Doctor: No, 'eureka' is Greek for
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- 'this bath is too hot.'