Hi,

Roy Marples wrote:

I'm biased as I maintain dhcpcd, but dhcpcd is better in every way.

I know this biased feeling about one's own dogfood :) :)

does dhpcd share code/features with dhcpcd found on other systems beyond the name?

I have read about NetBSD planning to drop dhclient in favor of dhcpcd.

I have had installations where dhcpcd succeeded where dhclient failed, and (7.99.1 amd64) where dhclient succeeded where dhcpcd failed > Failure means not being able to set up the internet connection even if the command ran without error messages.

Do you have any details on why dhcpcd failed and how dhclient worked, like say packet captures? I can probably guess though - some DHCP servers only work when the client id is in a format they know. However, this is not RFC compliant. Luckily dhcpcd can be configured to sent a client id the DHCP server does like, but this is not out of the box config, but is documented in said config.

Likewise dhclient doesn't work on links where a clientid is required out of the box.

I too essentially always use dhclient, it works, while I had issues with dhpcd. I have not yet a situation where the opposite true, but I am not doubting there are.

dhcpcd not working where the others work has another unpleasant side effect: not working during the installer.

I will see if I can find again a network where dhpcd fails.. I hope it was like at home, at the office or at my parents, so it is something easily to reproduce. If it is a network on a customer's site I might not have access to it anymore.. who knows which one it was!

One thing I did not try at the time is to see if it was a purely dhcp issue or also network card depndent (e.g. wireless would work, wired not). I think to remember that fiddling with the media type helped on the wired network, but I might confusing the issues and in any case dhclient "did all the magic" dhcpcd not :)

Riccardo