On Sun, 23 Aug 2020 at 21:01, Chavdar Ivanov <ci4...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > I received a couple of messages off list that suggested a few things and
> > > it prompted me to try investigating further with just components found in
> > > NetBSD.
> > >
> > > This test was run on a fairly recent NetBSD build of 9.99.70.  I
> > > downloaded the amd64 images for 9.99.71 (the ISO and IMG files), and
> > > tried booting them with qemu using -nvmm and the OVMF binaries currently
> > > in pkgsrc with the following:
> > >
> > > qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4096 -machine q35 -accel=nvmm -boot menu=on \
> >
> > -accel nvmm
> >
> > >     -device qemu-xhci -device usb-tablet -device usb-mouse -smbios type=2
> > > \
> > >     -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/pkg/share/OVMFX64.fd \
> >
> > the OVMFX64.fd file is actually in /usrpkg/share/ovmf directory, but
> > perhaps this is a typo. Anyway. I have no idea about this particular
> > way of specifying the bios; anyway, with
> >

> > -bios /usr/pkg/share/ovmf/OVMFX64.fd \
> >
> > it boots just fine. Otherwise I get the same crash as you.
>
> I meant - it doesn't crash, but it still can't boot from the ISO, as you said.
>
> I perform the installation using normal BIOS, then I switch. Doesn't
> make sense, I know.
>

> > >     -device ich9-ahci,id=sata \
> > >     -device ide-cd,bus=sata.0,drive=disk \
> > >     -drive
> > > id=disk,if=none,media=cdrom,format=raw,file=NetBSD-9.99.71-amd64.iso
> > >
> > > This produces an immediate “failed to start VCPU” and results in a core
> > > dump. Also tried the NetNSD-9.99.71-amd64-install.img file with:
> >

> > > qemu-system-x86_64 -m 4096 -machine q35 -accel=nvmm -boot menu=on \
> > >     -device qemu-xhci -device usb-tablet -device usb-mouse -smbios type=2
> > > \
> > >     -drive if=pflash,format=raw,readonly,file=/usr/pkg/share/OVMFX64.fd \
> > >     -device ich9-ahci,id=sata \
> > >     -device ide-hd,bus=sata.0,drive=disk \
> > >     -drive
> > > id=disk,if=none,media=disk,format=raw,file=NetBSD-9.99.71-amd64-install.img
> > >
> > > And it provides the same results - “failed to start VCPU” and a core dump.
> > >
> > > Removing the “-accel=nvmm” from both of the scripts allows the boot to
> > > proceed, but the OVMF code fails to find the CD or HD image and boot
> > > falls back to attempting to boot over the network.  This appears to be a
> > > bug in the version of OVMF found in pkgsrc which is based on stable2018.
> > > Replacing the OVMF with binaries obtained from a build of stable202005
> > > fixes the disk access issue and the boot then succeeds brining up the
> > > NetBSD installer.
> > >
> > > I then proceeded to do two installations of NetBSD under qem; one using
> > > the defaults for an MBR setup and one for a GPT setup.  The resulting MBR
> > > disk doesn’t boot under qemu; the GPT disk does boot however.  In the
> > > case of the MBR disk it appears the problem is that OVMF can’t find the
> > > disk or anything bootable on it.
> > >
> > > I’ve opened two PRs for these issues.  PR-55582 for the NVMM issues and

I was able to boot EFI and install yesterday's -current using

qemu-system-x86_64 \
                -m 3072 \
                -machine q35 \
                -accel nvmm \
                -device qemu-xhci \
                -device usb-tablet \
                -k en-gb \
                -smp 2 \
                -cdrom /iso/NetBSD-9.99.71-amd64.iso \
                -vnc :1 \
                -net tap,fd=3 3<>/dev/tap1 \
                -net nic \
                -bios /usr/pkg/share/ovmf/OVMFX64.fd \
                -drive format=raw,file=/dev/zvol/rdsk/tank/ztest

--
----