> But maybe modesetting is mature enough (and intel bad enough)
> to warrant being the default for Intel GPUs.

i'm not familiar with the various intel chipsets, i've only had
a couple of them over the years and besides porting the kabylake
bits into the older drm version, i've not really touched it much.

but, you can adjust the list of drivers used by default here in
the xorg-server sources:

   hw/xfree86/common/xf86pciBus.c:xf86VideoPtrToDriverList()

where it has a "default:" case for intel of "intel", and if you
can properly figure out how to change this to "modesetting" for
the newer ones (only?) that would be fine by me.

(one way to handle this without having to patch this code would
be to install the intel driver as some other name, and then make
a copy of the "ati" front end called "intel" that loads either
the real intel driver or modesetting, depending.)

.mrg.