Date:        Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:09:30 +0100
    From:        Adam <a...@netbsd.org>

  | Why not just change the order?

Christos has done that now, so I guess that more or less "fixes" the
issue.

I didn't want to do it that way, as it still leaves _LIBC_INTERNAL
unset when building the parts of libc which go in the tools libcompat
and one day, we're likely to have the same problem again, for the same
reason, and I would have preferred to have the Makefile(s) for the
tools libcompat build fixed instead, which would have also solved it.

If the "static" hadn't been commented out for MD2Transform() this would
certainly have been the right way (then there would have not been any
prototype in any md2.h, _LIBC_INTERNAL or not) - either that or just
adding a prototype to the .c file (sometimes that is necessary, as there
can be 2 such functions which refer to each other, they both can't come
first).

In this case moving it, rather than adding a prototype is better, as
the prototype would have needed another commented out "static" in it,
to match the actual function, and that would have been overboard.

In any case, my strategy had been to leave md2.c as it was, and attempt to
get someone who knew how, to fix the Makefile so that _LIBC_TNTERNAL
was defined (those functions are still part of a libc lookalike,
even when in libcompat so deserve to be compiled the same way as in
libc).   I guess we just wait for the next time.

kre