We’ve noted this request to add a new entry to CWE.  MITRE’s content submission
guidelines at
https://cwe.mitre.org/community/submissions/guidelines.html<https://cwe.mitre.org/community/submissions/guidelines.html#problems>
 note that minimum expectations for content submissions should include Name,
Summary, Extended Description, Modes of Introduction, Potential Mitigations,
Common Consequences, Applicable Platforms, Demonstrative Examples, Observed
Examples, Relationships, and References.  Incomplete submissions are frequently
a cause of delays for integration into CWE.

Regarding this specific weakness, I agree that CWE-20 and CWE-180 are not
ideal. It is probably better placed under CWE-706: Use of Incorrectly-Resolved
Name or Reference, where an identifier can be provided that points to an
unexpected resource. Common examples are pathname equivalence CWE-42 for a
trailing “.”, CWE-52 with a trailing slash, and CWE-58 for Windows 8.3 format
filenames.

CWE probably does not use the “canonicalization” term as often as it should,
which hurts the ability for users to discover this. Changes will need to be
made to CWE content to make this kind of problem easier for CWE users to find.

Given how extensively DNS names are used, it seems reasonable for including
this entry as a variant.

Thanks,
Steve