From: Rob Wissmann <rob.wissm...@nteligen.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2022 12:19 PM
To: Steven M Christey <co...@mitre.org>; Seifried, Kurt <k...@seifried.org>;
jonathan.w.hood6....@army.mil
Cc: CWE Research Discussion <cwe-research-list@mitre.org>
Subject: RE: [Non-DoD Source] Is there a CWE for this?

Steven,

Is there any room to update the description or extended description of CWE-436:
Interpretation Conflict to suggest specs or requirements may be at fault for
leaving certain behaviors up the implementation that should not be, leaving
room for interpretation conflicts to occur and become vulnerabilities?

For example, the JSON spec is underspecified for certain error conditions,
which leads to interoperability errors.
https://bishopfox.com/blog/json-interoperability-vulnerabilities

Not sure if Kurt’s issue is an RFC issue but if the RFC doesn’t specify what a
client should do when receiving a bad header field, it could be.

-Rob