This problem goes away if I take out the engine config. So, I guess I'm
asking why the following disables handling actual web service endpoints.
Do I need some different bit of spring-ery to add my handlers without
disturbing the usual handler for the endpoints?

<httpj:engine-factory bus="cxf">
  <httpj:engine port="8808">
      <httpj:handlers>
        <bean class="org.mortbay.jetty.handler.ResourceHandler">
          <property name="baseResource">
            <bean class="org.mortbay.resource.FileResource">
             <constructor-arg value="${staticResourceURL}"/>
            </bean>
          </property>
        </bean>
        <bean class="org.mortbay.jetty.handler.DefaultHandler"/>

      </httpj:handlers>
    </httpj:engine>
</httpj:engine-factory>