cxf.xml is for bus (generic service/client endpoing) configuration--I
don't know what you're trying to do to be able to answer your question
directly.

The "Service configuration files" section of [1] gives you two separate
ways of configuring a CXF-based web service.  Also, Willem recently
created a "CXFNonSpringServlet"[2] which may be what you're looking for.
Unfortunately AFAIK its usage has not been documented yet, but if you
ask Willem enough questions he may become motivated to write up about
it.

HTH,
Glen

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/CXF20DOC/configuration.html