Arundel, Donal wrote:
Unless x.509v3 Certificates are present in your created certificate
there
is no requirement that the certificate version number is 3.

If either the X.509 issuerUniqueID or subjectUniqueID fields are present
the certificate must be at least version 2.
However there is nothing actually stopping somebody creating a
certificate with no x.509v3 extensions, and also no issuerUniqueID or
subjectUniqueID, ..and having a version of 3. A version of 1 would
strictly be more correct though.
Yes, I agree with you.
I don't know offhand if Keytool gives you explicit control over the version
number or whether it just calculates the version from the
logical certificate request data when creating the certificate.
I generated public key certificates and private keys from keytool only. According to [1], It generates v1 certificates and can import/export v1, v2, and v3 certificates.. But I am suspecting it because when while printing out the certificate, I get following along with SerialNumber, Certificate fingerprints.

Owner: CN=dev, OU=mycompany, O=myorganization, L=mycity, ST=mystate, C=mycountry, [EMAIL PROTECTED] Issuer: CN=dev, OU=mycompany, O=myorganization, L=mycity, ST=mystate, C=mycountry, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I guess, EMAILADDRESS, etc comes as v3 certificate extensions.

Is there any way through which I can verify whether my certificate is v3 certificate having no extension or v1 certificate?
Generally all CA certificates must have extensions indicating that they
are CAs, so they should have a version number of 3.
Application certs on the other hand may vary depending on their content
and anticipated usage.

Cheers,
    Donal

With Regards,