From:   "David M", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Anyone got the money to set up a handgun factory in
Australia?

Tomkins are keen to sell off Smith & Wesson. Perhaps
some enthusiastic entrepreneur could do a deal and
relocate the plant to Perth (being the most pleasant
city in the state with the least onerous gun laws I believe).
Regards,
David.
--
Western Australia has the worst gun laws in Australia, at
least from my reading of them, you have to have a seperate

Surely an idea would be to take over the Lithgow plant,
I thought it was up for sale some time ago.

The problem in Australia is that it really is a microscopic
market as there are only 19 million people who live there,
and very few indeed hold a handgun license.

Their handgun laws are as bad as ours were, not surprising
as many States simply copied ours.  I have a copy of the
old NSW firearms act, the only real difference was that
rifles did not require a firearm certificate.

Now we had only one handgun manufacturer, JSL of Hereford,
in the past 20 years or so.  Webley and Scott used to
make a revolver up until about 1982 until West Midlands
Police shut them down as they couldn't afford the
security arrangements the police wanted.

What would be neat is if someone could take over Lithgow
and make a decent straight-pull AUG!

As Australian police and some security guards carry guns,
if someone down there could make a reasonable copy of
the Glock they might be able to sell enough to be viable.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]