From:   "E.J. Totty", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>[....]
>Not quite true the British police are and always have
>been an armed force (most of the time its been the staff
>- AKA truncheon - though the original Robert Peel
>constables carried swords).  A quick look at the Police
>Act 1964 makes you realise that the laws and regulations
>applied to police officers are more akin to the military
>than the civil service or local government.
>[.....]
>
>I am not briefed to comment on the above, but the fact of
>the matter is that the Police are a "Civilian Entity". I
>know it is a silly example, but a I understand a Police
>officer must preceed any Military parade, not only to
>make sure the road is clear but to set the precedence of
>Civil Law.
        --rest deleted--
        [...]

        Steve, & Jim,

        I agree Jim's assessment, and further, upon
looking-up the term 'Police' in Black's Law Dictionary,
Sixth Ed., I find this:
        "Branch of government which is charged with
the preservation of public order and tranquility, the
promotion of the public health, safety, and morals, and
the prevention, detection, and punishment of crimes.
See also Internal Police; Peace (Peace officers); Sheriff.

        Under the heading of 'police officer', is this:
        "One of a staff of persons employed in cities
and towns to enforce the municipal laws and ordinances
for preserving the peace, safety, and good order of the
community. Also called "policeman" or "policewoman";
"patrolman" or "patrolwoman", or "peace officer". See also
Peace (Peace Officers)."

        Under the heading of 'civilian', is this:
        "Private citizen, as distinguished from such as
belong to the armed services, or (in England) the church.
One who is skilled or versed in civil law."

        There is no heading under "armed service".
        Under "Army" is this:
        "Armed forces of a nation intended for military
service on land."

        So, it would appear, upon close legal inspection,
that the term 'civilian' as used by the police -- on their form --
refers to anyone not specifically required to possess arms as
a duty under oath while in military service to their nation.
        I suppose that the term 'private citizen' (or subject)
might well have been a more appropriate term to employ.

ET
--
Well, I have to disagree with that law dictionary to the
extent that the police do not punish people, the courts

I suppose they hand out tickets, but in theory you
have to consent to that otherwise you go to court.

The police are not a military force IMO, and I hope
that as many people as possible share that opinion,
because going by the cabinet papers you can look
through in the PRO there are plenty of people in
Government who seem to think the police are their
own private army.

The classic example in the distinction between the
two was the Iranian Embassy siege.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]