From:   "Jim Franklin", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

[....]
Suppose your Parliament (or HO) were to issue an
edict that all speeders were to be shot dead on sight.
Completely ludicrous, I realize. But what if?
What if the law were so onerously against the rights
of man, that it was patently obvious? Would you still enforce it?
Would you see it as your duty to carry out the intent
of the law, regardless?
[.....]

Summary execution without due process is outlawed by some
international law, probably a UN charter. It is murder by
any definition.

The culpability for enforcing unjust laws, which get onto
the statute book as a result of Parliament assuming supremacy
over Common Law, is wide ranging

Firstly there is the Police Service for applying bad law,
the Judiciary for enforcing it and the Prison Service for
incarcerating citizens sentenced by the Courts. I believe the
Police's level of responsibility to be less that the other two.

Although politicians attract a fair amount of opprobrium in
this NG, we don't hear much said against the Pinstripe Suits
that draft the legislation.  They, probably more than any one,
are aware of the dodgy nature of much recent legislation. They
are answerable to the holders of true unaccountable power, the
senior civil service. These are not publicity seekers, but get
off on the nature of their position, offering advice to
none-too-bright politicians. This is the real seat of power.
They benefit most from a compliant population that won't cause
them too much hassle on the way to their knighthoods. The Police,
Judiciary, etc. are just their foot soldiers and eventual fall-guys.

Jim Franklin
Orpington
KENT. UK
PGP key on request