From:   "Hugh Bellars", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<There are two seperate issues here.  The first is
that the training needs to be a hell of a lot better
and the second is that the pistol is a better choice
for various reasons (easier to carry, less intimidating
to the public, cheaper etc.) than the MP5 or other
carbine.>

Steve, I'm sure that we must agree to disagree on this point,
but I can do no better than quote the words of Jeff Cooper,
as published in his commentaries:

'I discovered that there is a basic divergence in purpose
between the amateur and the professional.  The amateur
seeks excellence.  The professional seeks adequacy.  The
hobbyist shooter wants to be better.  The cop wants to be
good enough.'

I have shot in competitions against AFOs and in each
instance they were totally hopeless, being soundly beaten
by our team's fairly average skill level. To imagine them
trying to shoot a pistol well under stress is too
terrible to contemplate. To learn how to shoot well, you
have to want to learn how to shoot well, and I'm willing
to bet that most police officers will only achieve the
minimum level of skill needed to qualify, no matter
the level of training.

and (Cooper again);

'A pistol is a defensive instrument, designed to stop
a fight that somebody else starts. It is strictly an
emergency device called for in an unpredicted
emergency.'

Now, I'm willing to bet that Jeff Cooper would be the
last one to recommend an MP5 as an adequate police weapon
(his concept for a police weapon is 'Thumper' - a self
However I still believe that it is a better choice for
the average AFO, given that many armed operations are
'expeditionary', i.e. they are responding to potential
trouble. If you know that you are heading towards
trouble, it makes sense to take a long gun.

Hugh
--
I was under the impression the police were trying to
stop fights that someone else starts!  I'm not

You're right about training, people who do it
as a job do the minimum necessary to pass, I know
that from personal experience of teaching people
in Florida to get security guard licenses.

The solution is to raise the qualification standard
so they have to be good to pass.

I think you're going a bit too far with the "too
terrible to contemplate" comment, if they're that
bad with a pistol they'll be that bad with an
MP5.  My experience is that it is never a good idea
to attempt to compensate for skill with equipment.

I've seen that so many times in IPSC competitions.

I just don't see why when serving a high risk warrant
or strolling around the airport the police need to
use semi-auto MP5s.  A pistol is easier to carry
and maneuver with.  Plus it causes less general
alarm to the public to see a pistol in a holster
compared to an MP5 strapped across the chest of
a copper.

ACPO themselves have said that nearly all shootings
take place at ten yards or less.  The advantage an
MP5 has over a pistol at that distance is negligible.

Or are we seriously saying here that the police don't
have the money to teach their AFOs to shoot effectively
at ten _yards_?

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]