From:   "John Hurst", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Stop Supporting the Cops! by Michael Peirce

A few years ago I was working as a contract software
developer at a big insurance company in Atlanta when
a young intern came running in, all excited. He was
laughing out loud as he told us "someone has blown
up a bunch of BATF in Oklahoma!" Cheers broke out
and people came rushing out of their cubes to chatter
and look for more information. As the facts of the
bombing became clear, the cheering died out
immediately. But I sat there dumbfounded. Run of the
mill Americans had just cheered because they had
thought government cops had been blown away.

However, let the conversation turn to the local police
and conservatives invariably revert to bumper sticker
platitudes. So a whole lot of Americans share my contempt
for the government cops. But what about the police state
in general? The militarized police forces of large cities
are the firepower equivalent of somenational armies.
Even rural towns boast their own SWAT teams these days.
Of course in Atlanta we understand that the APD is a
joke - highly politicized and under the thumb of a
corrupt bunch of politicians in a town where politically
correct means having a caring, black female as chief of
police. So of course we love our local, suburban cops.
Maybe we should - God knows we want to. But aren't they
breaking down people's doors and confiscating their
property over ridiculous drug offenses? Don't they set
up drunk driving road blocks in the most conscious
violation of the rights of free men? Yeah, they do all
that. But they are our neighbors. One of them gave my
kid a ride to church in his patrol car after the
boy's truck broke down. It's hard to dislike these
guys and frankly I don't.

We must however, remember the big picture. That same
son went riding around the other night in a very fancy
SUV that his friend's dad had picked up at an auction.
That's right, it was confiscated by the forces of law
and order.

Who changed the American constitution to allow
government to confiscate our private property? Is not
private ownership of property the very linchpin of
personal freedom?

So what is it with conservatives? This knee jerk
response to policemen (and schoolteachers - but another
time for that one!) can be fatal to the health of your
country. We should be speaking out against these abuses,
not calling for more of the same. Very smart and committed
journalists like Charley Reese and Jon Dougherty turn into
something very far from what their usual work suggests
that they are, when they speak of police. The latter is
all for the drug war, despite his many columns exposing
the nation's leaders as unspeakably corrupt. Helloooo
Who do you think, fellows, is in command of this
intolerable drug war? And who do you think is prosecuting
it?

It cannot be forgotten that some of this people involved
in drugs are very dangerous criminals, armed to the
teeth. It makes one think of prohibition. You can keep
your shoes on while you count the folks who've been shot
over bootleg liquor lately but the streets were
pretty hectic there for a while.

Perhaps it's time to address this major flaw in
conservative /libertarian rhetoric. There is always this
obligatory homage to the police - yeah, the guys who will
be confiscating your firearms in California. The folks in
the macho drag SWAT get ups who kick in people's doors
and stick automatic weapons in kid's faces. The drug
warriors...The guys who regularly "put it all on the line"
for us.  Right....

Now I say to you, stop supporting the cops! They shoot
people over this drug war nonsense but didn't have the
guts to go in at Columbine. They stood around "minimizing
police casualties."  They routinely obey un-constitutional
and / or immoral orders. For which we hung rather a lot
of Germans I seem to recall. They have made it clear
that they work for the politicians not the people.

Remember Seattle? Who were they "protecting" there.
Certainly not the shop owners, as left-anarchists ran
wild trashing what they would. No, the cops were the
folks protecting the WTO, and making sure the shop owners
did not use guns to protect their own property. Was it
ot LAPD who stood around with their thumbs in their
collective asses while rioters tore east LA apart? The
only people who had a chance were the Koreans who had
armed themselves.

Even the liberals in Wilshire and Beverly Hills made
a sudden run on the gun stores after seeing how useless
the police were in defending citizens. But the gun stores
had been closed by the police.... To this day I have one
thing to say to Darryl Gates, the conservative icon:
"Kiss my ass!"

We are seeing some encouraging signs, such as the
Arizona sheriff who filed suit against the Brady
Bill. We all know cops personally who are quite decent
folks dealing with a rough job. Well - I say to you if
your friend is caught in a sin, and you rescue him,
great will be your reward. You certainly wouldn't offer
an alcoholic a drink would you? Then stop supporting
this fascist war on drugs!

Recently yet another man was killed in New York as half
assed cops played cowboys and drug dealers. This is not
worth a single human life. If you are worried about
your kids using dope - then give them up for adoption
or start doing your job as parents. Pull down those
ridiculous public schools or let them whither away from
lack of use. Your kid's dope problem is not my problem,
pal.  Spend some time with 'em, take 'em to church!

Speaking of which - churches are major offenders in
the drug war charade. The recent assaults on freedom
of religion are a natural offshoot of the decline of
constitutional freedoms brought about by the drug
war. So don't pat yourselves on the back too hard,
fellow Christians. You should be wearing sackcloth
and ashes! While you are preaching politics in you
 pulpits you should be preaching sound Biblical
doctrine which would arm the kids with the only
weapon that matters in these cultural wars, Biblical
Truth.

So what is a decent cop to do? They are all fully
aware that a vast majority of the crime is done by
minorities. Yet we have this totalitarian double speak
that condemns racial profiling as a heinous and career
busting offense.As our wonderful wolf in sheep's
clothing Christine Todd Whitman proved in her fascist
republic of New Jersey - firing a head cop for speaking
the truth. Thus, the police are apt to be a little bit
schizoid these days. How helpful to see fish wrappers
like the New York Times stirring up racial hatred and
then acting all innocent and astounded when
there are racial incidents? Is anybody sane out there?

Where do we recruit police officers? From the military!
And what is happening in our military? Huge amounts of
your money are going to provide palatial settings for
the perfumed princes of the higher command who are
willing to kiss up to the Clintons and share in
the bounty. That's why we have a fighting force that
is a joke. Gender tolerance, diversity, and stress
chits have turned the military into dysfunctional
organization. So our cops come to us from a completely
insane institution in the first place, where
sycophantic obedience to greedy, power hungry and
immoral wretches is the norm. And now they are taking
our guns. Who do you think will be doing that? Hint -
it ain't the tooth fairy. The fascist state will reign
supreme - the real criminals exposed at last. Us - the
law abiding, tax paying Americans who are the biggest
suckers in the world... The Americans who thought that
they lived under a fairly good constitution and now
are learning that "I love Big Brother" means always
having to say you're sorry.

Who will protect us? We who are about to be disarmed?
Why - the same fine fellows who took our guns. And
let east LA burn. So I'm sure the right-wing pundits
will soon be calling for more cops and more cops and
more cops. You can bet that Clinton/Bush and their
power mad cohorts will be more than glad to oblige.
Be careful, folks, what you wish for.

I call on you decent policemen out there, to refuse
to obey unlawful orders. You too, are under the
constitution. Just say no, to fascism. You are the
men for the job. We will support you. We CAN take
our country back.

I want my country back. I have not moved. The
government moved. We are governed by totalitarian
extremists. And we allowed it to happen. Cold wars
and drug wars provided an excuse, and we willingly
collaborated with our jailers.. We forgot that "get
tough on crime" just might have repercussions. We
point guns at our own people for smoking pot, and
lock them away, while countenancing treason, murder
and rape among those who rule over us, as if these
crimes hardly mattered. So the jails are full, but
we can't walk our streets. The only answer of
course, is to disarm the law abiding folks. "But
surely," we say, "That makes no sense!" I submit to
you that they know just what they are doing.. It's so
obvious that only a moron, or public school graduate
(post 1980) could miss it. And it makes sense to
those who hate freedom.

We are thinking like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on
this one. Doesn't the government have enough power?
Aren't the cops shooting enough people? Isn't two
million prison inmates enough? Particularly since
our jails have become unspeakable bastions of
violence and sexual perversion?

In Rhodesia, during the terror war, the police in
the cities were unarmed. Only the bush units carried
weapons. Yet those bad boys of the BSAP spoke with
real authority. The feeling they engendered in me, was
not the fear that all this macho militarized Waco
police state mess fosters, but a much finer reaction. It
was called respect. One night six of us were cruising
into town for some fun and got busted for driving on the
wrong side of the road (sometimes we forgot - that left
side of the road stuff is hard to get used to.) We were
all armed to the teeth and only the cop lacked a weapon.
We sat there like guilty schoolboys while he tore a slice
of hide off us. And then told us to get moving, drive
properly and try to have some "bloody fun without
breaking any laws!" Over there, it was very hard to get
locked up; laws were few. But if you hurt somebody you
swung for it. Period. It worked really well. It could
work here, but it would take a 180 degree turn
culturally. Because we'd have to acknowledge the
difference between right and wrong. For some reason,
we refuse to do that. The price is getting higher
and higher.

April 10, 2000

Mr. Peirce fought with the Rhodesian freedom fighters (the Ian
Smith side, of course).
--
Hey Dave, are you related to this guy?<G>

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]