From:   "Hugh Bellars", [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<JHP should also be used, where applicable, but we
cant have it 'cos the Hague convention says so.
Comments on this would be gratefuly received.
(Article 29 of the Hague convention on Warfare on
Land, 1899 refers.... I think!). We use JSP instead.>

I think that this is definitely in the urban myth
category. Both the Geneva Convention and the Hague
Accords apply only to international warfare between
nations and 'domestic problems' were specifically exempted
from both sets of documents.

I believe that it is the Police Scientific Development
Branch that sets the UK police standard for 9mm para as
a 90 grain soft point bullet. Quite why they think that
this is acceptable ammunition for police, I have no idea,
but I suspect that it is to do with PR concerns over JHP
as (I think) Steve has suggested.

I have an article written 12 years ago by the US writer
Massad Ayoob which puts the case for JHP for police work,
in particular why they were legally defensible in court.
In essence his argument was:

(a)  The majority of American police use them, including
the FBI and Secret Service;
(b)  hollowpoints are less likely to go all the way
through an assailant's body and jeopardise hidden innocent
bystanders located behind them;
(c)  hollowpoints are more ricochet-proof;
(d)  hollowpoints are more humane, because they penetrate
less and assailants have to be shot fewer times to cause
them to cease hostilities.

If the police AFOs have to use 9mm firearms, then my
personal opinion is that they should be issued with 115gr
JHP +P+ ammo (which I believe has about the same velocity
as NATO spec 9mm ball).

Hugh
--
Illinois State Police were the first large agency in the
US to switch to 9mm pistols in the 70s, and they helped

I've never heard any significant complaint about the
performance of that load other than it cannot always
sufficiently penetrate clothing.  There are a lot of
people who have _written_ about how it doesn't
penetrate enough and so on but ISP seem perfectly happy
with it and have used it for 20 years or so.

In any event, the police seem to be going to 5.56mm
and even .40 S&W (in the UMP40) which beat 9mm FMJ or
JSP.

List admin: [EMAIL PROTECTED]